Chapter 26 - The Secret's Out

FER

This situation is utterly ridiculous and I wonder how the show's production came in contact with Roman. The guy is a good dancer, can't deny that, but there's a large academy here in town and I'm sure other instructors were available. Madison has stayed strong and as professional as ever through all of this, even though it's obvious he sparks anger in her.

After rehearsal, I convinced her to skip the catering and we headed together to a quiet corner of the cafeteria. The years working as a janitor gave me enough knowledge of all the backstage routes to avoid the people queuing for the show.

"How are you feeling?"

Madison looks at me over her mug of tea and then gazes around the room.

"Less anger, still annoyed. After seeing him, it reminded me of how wrong I was to ever stay in that relationship. I should have broken up with him when the abuse started. I was a fool, trying to focus on his good side and hoping things would change. He's still the same asshole and will never change."

"Are you also trying to focus on my good side?"

Madison stares at me and then shakes her head.

"You are different, Fer. You cherish your privacy and I've seen how much you care about the people you love. He only wanted to be seen, become famous and only loves himself."

"Good to hear," I hold her hand over the table and she relaxes some. "I like how I feel when you are around. I care about you, maybe a lot more than I let show."

I've been wanting to say that to Madison but couldn't find the right moment. She gives me a shy smile and her eyes widen when I lean over the small table and kiss her.

"Fer... people are watching. They will talk!"

"I don't care what people think or say anymore. Let the gossip news come to their conclusions," I say loudly enough for the people around us to hear.

After finishing our meal, Madison and I split to get dressed. My irritation at Roman's presence lessens at the sight of Kevin in the hair and makeup department.

"Ready to cover your ugly face?" He smirks.

"Yeah, after seeing what a good job they did covering yours, I'm confident I'm in good hands."

Kevin smiles, but it doesn't reach his eyes. "What happened to your brother in law was unfortunate..."

"If you are talking about Maurice, he isn't my brother in law."

"Oh really? So the display of affection at the cafeteria was for nothing? News travel fast around here."

"I'm not going to discuss my private life with you."

"I wonder what Madison thinks about all of this... Probably feeling smug, you know, now that two men are competing for her attention."

"Two men? Who's the other, you? I have nothing to fear then."

Kevin laughs and gets a smack on the side of his head for moving while his hair gets styled.

"Sorry babe, I'll keep still. I mean Roman. You need to step your game up Fernando. Those two have history and well, you don't have much to offer her to be honest."

"What do you mean?"

"Think about it. Without the show, there isn't much interesting left in your life. You have that cover up with that friend of yours so no one finds out how incompetent you are at relationships. Your brother is a retard and even your kid is ashamed of you. Admit it Fernando. Madison would be better with anyone else but you."