Chapter 27 - Not What It Seems

MADISON

The pain in my shoulders is the sign of the stress coming from all sides. It was a tough evening after Ale's secret was spilled during live TV. We still had to do the group's dance, which they performed while barely looking at each other, and then a heartbreaking moment happened. My sister and Ale didn't make it to the next round of the show.

Cadence didn't get emotional. If anything she was an ice queen. With a dignified attitude, she waved at the audience and left the stage. I can't say the same for Ale or Fer. The first was shocked and embarrassed, the other looked guilty as hell.

As soon as the show was over, I said a quick goodbye to Fer with a kiss on his cheek as always, and rushed to the dressing room to avoid coming across Roman. His cocky attitude irritates me to the point of rage, especially now that he got a better score than us. Cadence didn't speak at all on the way home, and still hasn't said a word, and that worries me. She slammed the door of her bedroom when we arrived home yesterday and still hasn't come out.

"Is it true? Did Ale knock someone up?" Maurice walks into the kitchen using crutches and takes a seat at the dining table. "I was asleep when you came home, those pills can take a horse down, but it's all over the entertainment news."

"Not even Ale is sure. Bailey has a bad reputation when it comes to men."

My brother stares at the table with an odd expression. "Bailey? That can't be right... She's not like that."

"You... Sure didn't. Did you?"

"We have kissed, but I haven't slept with her. We are getting to know each other, but she doesn't seem to me like the kind of girl who would sleep with everyone. She comes across a bit needy sometimes, likely because her parents fought constantly and kind of neglected her while growing up."

Maurice's observation leaves me even more doubtful of what could be the truth.

"Is this something recent?"

"We've been out a few times since the show started, and she's come to see me at the pizzeria whenever she can. Most of the time we talk a lot. She's confessed that Kevin freaks her out and she hates working with him. Who doesn't?" He shrugs. "Don't judge her harshly 'cause she doesn't deserve it. Get to know her and you'll see for yourself."

I try to hide the guilt he's making me feel with another question. "What about the rumors about Sandy and you?"

"Just that. Rumors. She's double my age and besides that I love cooking, we have nothing in common. Marco is here," we look out the window and see his buddy parking at the front. "Going out for a bit, I'm not made for staying inside the house for so long."

"Have fun," I kiss my brother 's cheek as I open the door for him.

When I turn around, I find Cadence behind me.

"Morning," I say carefully. "Are you okay?"

"As okay as I can be with everything that's happened. I'm mostly pissed at many things. Why didn't you tell me? We don't keep secrets between us, even less on something as important as this," she sounds more frustrated than anything.

"It wasn't my news to share. He found out while taping the Spring Break shows."

Cadence ponders on my words. "Is that why he got wasted and picked up a fight?"

"Yes, seems he didn't manage it in the best way."

"It's Bailey, isn't it? She's been cornering him at every moment possible wanting to talk. Now I know why!"

Maurice's words repeat in my head. "I'm starting to think there's more to this than what we know or assume. Give Ale some time to process this situation. He's only trying to be careful after a bad past experience."