Chapter 19 - Honesty

FER

How come production didn't realize the logistics mistake? How will we practice for the dance show? And worst of all, how did I forget we have hosted this event for the past two years? I tried to call the office and then Liz on her phone but got no answer. My sleep was restless as my brain tried to come up with solutions.

"Maybe we can do it via video call," Ale says as she shuts down the laptop. He finds it entertaining to follow the speculation about him and Cadence being in a relationship.

"That won't work for me. Madison presses her fingers on my shoulder to steer me. I also need her to repeat the steps close to me."

"Do you need new hearing aids?"

"Not really. I just..." I trail off and feel embarrassed.

Ale smiles. He has figured out that I feel more than comfortable around Madison. I won't admit out loud that I enjoy it when she whispers in my ear. Javi enters the kitchen and looks a bit lost.

"Hey Javi, ready to see how we learn to dance?" Ale asks and my son responds with a shrug.

"Are you coming with us to the dance studio?" I ask my brother.

"First I need to try on my courtesy clothes for next week. I'll see you guys there."

Ale leaves the house and I make a mental note that I also need to go by my regular guys to pick the beach clothes I get as a courtesy in exchange of advertising during Spring Break.

"Want me to cook you breakfast?" I ask.

"Nah. Still stuffed from last night."

The boy ate his food and what was left of mine, then ate more ice cream than what a human being can possibly fit in.

As we made our way to the restaurant last night, it was clear how awkward things were between us. He responded to my conversation with mumbles and shrugs. After we sat in a booth and placed our order, I promised him I wasn't going to add to his punishment if he was honest.

"How long have you been smoking weed?"

"Just the one when you caught me. Let me finish!" He said when I gave him an incredulous look. "I swear that has been the only ocassion and I didn't like it."

"Why did you have them in your locker?"

"Dad, I didn't store drugs in my locker. I don't know who did that, but whoever it was wants to get me in serious trouble," he holds my stare and I know he's been truthful.

"Do you have any idea who wants to mess with you? Why did you buy weed in the first place?" I asked but he stayed silent. "Hey, you used to tell me everything. I know I haven't been around much lately, but I miss our friendship."

My son played with a spoon while considering to tell me more. The waitress set up our drinks in front of us giving him extra time.

"To make everyone believe I'm tough."

"Why do you need to prove that?"

Javier looked around the room and seemed mortified about sharing the information.

"Before the Christmas break, a girl in my class flirted with me and followed me everywhere. Eventually I gave in and took her out for a shake after school. She kissed me and told everyone at school she was my girlfriend. I didn't deny it even though it wasn't true. Then not even two days after that, she asked me if she could come over with a bunch of friends to meet you and Uncle Ale. I said no and she got mad. Her brother confronted me after school and said that I didn't want anyone to come home because you are a dumb fuck and that not even my mom wants to be around you. I pushed him but someone came to split us. After the break, I went back to school and he was on my case again. Word got out I was hanging with the wrong crowd and was friends with a dealer, the guy I bought the joints from, and he left me in peace."