Chapter 17 - Locker Search

MADISON

Fer gives me an awkward smile and removes his hand from mine. We are saved from further embarrassment as the waitress arrives with our food.

"I hope you are hungry. The portions here are large. Ale is particularly fond of the fries," Fer says as he hands me the ketchup bottle.

"I see what you mean. I don't think I can fit this in my mouth," I admire the tower-high burger while biting on an onion ring. "But I'm not afraid of challenges," I grab a knife to cut my sandwich in two.

Fer watches me as I take a big bite and let out a sigh of content. A big blob of ketchup lands on my shirt and I stare at it while he laughs.

"Oh dammit, good I'm wearing black," I clean the sauce with a napkin and take another bite of the burger.

Fer gives me an odd look.

"What now?" I challenge.

"Don't you need to run to the bathroom, get soda water and freak out or something?"

"I have a washing machine, and I don't want my fries to get cold," I stuff a bunch in my mouth.

"You got a good argument there," Fer points at me with half of his onion ring. "Now, tell me about that ex of yours. Romeo, right?"

My food suddenly looks less appealing.

"Roman," I sigh.

"How did you meet him?"

"We went to the same dance academy but didn't met there. He was in his last year and I was in my second. Maurice knew him because Roman gave street dance classes in his spare time and he was his student. Maurice introduced us casually one day when I went to pick him and we had a friendly talk. We didn't cross each other's path until we were chosen for a theater show in the city center and he remembered me. He did everything possible to end up as my dance partner, and we spent a lot of time together. A friendship that inevitably became something more."

"You said he wasn't nice to you. When did that start?"

I look out the window. It's been a while, but I don't know if I want to open the old wounds.

"I'm sorry," Fer says. "I'm not prying, only trying to get to know you better. Probably this isn't the best topic to discuss."

There isn't hint of sarcasm or cruelty in Fer's words. Maybe sharing my pain will make it less. He has been more open to me that I've been with him.

"The only reason I'm telling you this is because you shared your family situation. Don't mention anything of this to your brother. Not even my siblings know the whole truth. Maurice above all should never hear about what happened."

"I promise."

"After three years at the dance show, Roman decided it was time for us to do something else. Something bigger. I didn't protest because I did study to become an instructor and did little of it at the time. Roman had it all planned and he was good at manipulating people to do his will. We rented a small studio and did fine for a while. Gradually his belongings made an appearance at my apartment and one day he told me he needed a key because he had ended his lease. Basically that was his way to say he was moving in with me. Roman managed the business and gave some classes, and eventually he also took control of my apartment and my personal finances. He appeared helpful and kind, but under that he was a control freak with a rotten attitude. Nothing I did was ever right, he even cut me off my own money and his initial teasing at my mistakes became sarcastic remarks. He had dreams of becoming a big name with the dance studio with minimal effort. He was on the clouds when an actor who was semi-famous came to us for lessons. Whenever Roman left the room, the man pressed his erection on my body as we danced. In the beginning, I thought I imagined it. Until one day he caged me against a wall and touched me inappropriately. I got so angry, I gave him a knee to his balls, and yelled at him to get out of the studio."