Chapter 16 - Lunch at the Diner

FER

Happy and excited, that's how I feel since last Saturday, but I rather die before saying it out loud or letting it show. Maybe it was beginners' luck and I need to enjoy it while it lasts.

"Hey," I say without any emotion to Madison as I enter the studio.

"Don't you 'hey' me after what happened last Saturday. Come here and give me a hug."

I remain still and wait until she finishes squeezing me. Usually, I hate when people touch me but lately I don't dislike it when she does it.

"It was a great night. Your performance was flawless. The highest score of the show, Fer!"

Last Saturday, I decided to give it my best on our rumba performance. I truly hate that dance and the song Madison picked is a bore, but she was a good sport during our show, and saved my ass during the last game. Madison is a smart girl and hinted me the right answer, helping me to win the show and to avoid the loser tub.

It's been over a week since that day and I think constantly over the fact that I wanted to kiss Madison in that empty hallway when Kevin interrupted us. Maybe it was the adrenaline running through my veins after the show.

Kevin is up to something and after knowing him for years I know it's nothing good. He's been on our case since we got hired for the game show and takes every chance possible to make us look like idiots. The behind-the-scenes footage he had the crew film, placed us in the worst light after edits. Still, I kept calm even though I was embarrassed when it aired. Alex was furious when he watched it from the green room as all takes made him look uncoordinated and dumb.

That's also another reason of why I tried my best during our cha-cha and rumba dances. I wanted to prove them wrong, and Ale certainly did too since he got the third best score of the night. I gave the viewers at home my brightest smile during the interview while Kevin sported a forced one.

"Kevin's bitter face was worth the effort. Can't guarantee it will happen again."

"Of course it's possible. You know the waltz steps and only need to work on your timing. That stunt you pulled with your sensuality worked well with the rumba, but we need to contain it for the waltz."

I snort at her remark. "I'm not sensual, just hot."

"So damn humble," she laughs. "Waltz, starting position."

The song starts and I hold Madison in my arms. I let the music fill me, instinctively I find the beat, and forget about everything for a moment. Being in control and how soft her body feels is something I really enjoy.

"How was that?" I ask when the song ends. "Did I screw up the dance?"

"Fer, I can't ask for a better rehearsal than this," she says. "If you do exactly this on Saturday, you'll certainly repeat the previous score. I even feel so confident about your performance that I'm thinking of adding one or two extra steps."

Her compliment makes me smile and she returns it.

"What's the new dance for next week?" I ask.

"Swing."

"Really? I've heard of that one."

"You'll probably like it. It's faster than the cha-cha and has tons of turns."

Alarm bells ring in my head after throwing her to the floor accidentally. Madison holds my hand to bring me to the starting line.

"We will start with the basic step. I already taped the floor for you. You will cross your left foot behind your right one. Bring it back, close with your right, step to the left. Step to the right, close with your left, step to the right, and cross behind your right foot again."