Chapter 30 - Setup

The images on that video are still embedded in my mind. Ale staggered towards the parking lot nearby the club. Three men approached him and surrounded him, and after what seemed like an exchange of words, Ale threw the first punch.

It was an unfair fight, and soon enough Ale fell to the ground where he was kicked until he stopped moving. And just like that they kept walking, one of them shaking his hand, likely from the pain. I couldn't recognize any of them, but I don't go out much and I'm not the best at remembering people.

What caught my attention and also the police's was what happened afterwards. A man wearing a hoodie, crossed the street towards my brother, stopped momentarily to look at him, threw a cigarette in the gutter and kept walking. I didn't recognize him either, which was what the police were hoping for.

A bakery employee on his way to work found Ale and called the emergency services. My brother didn't have anything on him as id, because his drunk ass left his wallet on top of the bar after paying his tab. What's also puzzling is that his phone is nowhere to be found.

Madison comes to stand next to me and places a protective arm around my waist. I bring her closer to me for a hug, a well needed one. She stopped me from leaving, grounded me. I need her now more than ever.

Then I see that Denise is here and panic sets in when I realize who isn't.

"Javier-"

"He's at a friend playing video games and doesn't know yet what happened. I'll let him know soon, but after seeing Ale, I think I will wait before bringing him here."

"No changes then?" I ask my mom.

"Fer..." She places a hand on my chest. "It will take a while before he shows any improvement. We need to be patient and hope for the best outcome. The head nurse says the next hours are crucial, but that he's been stable since the operation."

"Someone has to pay for this. He isn't a saint, but it was obvious that it was a setup," I feel myself getting worked up thinking of the video.

"There will be justice, of that I'm sure. I'm going back to the room to talk with your dad and wait for a doctor, and talk about a plan for the coming days. I'll also let you know if there are any changes," she kisses Denise on the cheek before returning to my brother.

"I'll head home," Denise says. "I was about to do so when we met with Madison. I need a bit of time for myself to get my thoughts in order before telling Javier. Keep me posted."

I give her a nod and turn to Madison as Denise walks away.

"He looks bad, right?"

"I- I haven't seen him yet. Didn't feel right to go in there without you."

I let out a deep breath, link her fingers with mine, and pull her softly towards the room. I don't want to go in there again, but Madison has made it this far and she's now part of my family. I hesitate by the door. It can go wrong again, but I hope that having her with me will keep me calm.

We find my dad standing at the end of the bed, while Mom sits next to Ale and holds his hand. One of his eyes is swollen shut and the other side of his face is just a mix of dark colors, the plaster over his nose covers a good part of his cheeks too. 

So that's what I looked like when I was in a room just like this one. I have vague memories of how that tube felt inside my mouth and the rhythmic sounds of the equipment.

Madison breathes deeply and tries her best to keep her composure.

"You okay?" I ask.

"This is difficult to understand when just yesterday he was fine, complaining about a costume and dancing. It wasn't the best night, but I would take many of those if it means not having to see him like this. If you are all okay with it, I would like to let Cadence know. That's my sister and his dance partner," she adds for my parents.