Chapter 11 - Rehearsal

MADISON

Every tiny noise makes me suspicious or paranoid, and when I hear footsteps outside of my bedroom my heart races, which is stupid since I know my siblings are walking around as we prepare to head to the network.

"Are you ready?" Maurice asks from my bedroom entrance.

"Yeah," I smile at him as I place my dance shoes in my trolley and zip it close. "Is Cadence done?"

"She's already in the car," he says dryly as he grabs my bag and heads outside.

Cadence looks distracted as I sit in the back seat and Maurice slams the door shut before driving. My brother is an anger time bomb since he found out about what happened. I place my hand on Cadence's shoulder and give it a gentle squeeze. She turns to look at me, places her hand over mine and gives me a small smile. 

I wouldn't wish what she experienced to anyone. When she calmed down, she told me what happened when Ethan attacked her, right before we got there. She had finished rehearsing with Alejandro and was catching up on emails on her phone when Ethan pulled her by her hair. She screamed but the cottage is insulated for sound, making it difficult for anyone to hear her outside. He then pushed her against the mirror wall and held her by the neck, squeezing her so hard that you can still see the marks. When Alejandro came in the studio, he pulled Ethan off her and punched him so hard on his face that he got knocked out immediately.

Not long after Fernando and I arrived, he gained consciousness and tried to have a go at Ale. Fernando tackled him and together, they kept him immobilized until the police arrived. When Maurice came home and learned about what happened, he got so mad that he wanted to leave the house to find Ethan. Cadence cried hysterically, and I was torn between keeping my brother from doing something stupid and comforting her.

The car trip to the network happens further in silence, but I can't ignore the tension in my shoulders and the knot in my stomach. After finding a spot to park, luckily closer to the entrance this time, we head to the security check where some production assistants wait for us. Maurice is directed to the male dressing rooms and we get escorted to ours. By the amount of bags left in the large room filled with vanity tables and chairs, I deduce that everybody else has arrived. Cadence excuses herself to go to the bathroom and I want to follow her, but her body language tells me she needs a little time alone. To pass the time, I do some simple warm up stretches and from time to time I check my phone for a message from Fernando saying he arrived. The soft knock on the door interrupts me.

"Please come in," I shout towards it.

The door opens, and Fer comes inside. "I heard the Turners were in the house."

"We just arrived. I thought we agreed that you would message me to let me know you were here."

"Forgot," he shrugs. "How's your sister doing?"

I'm surprised by his sudden kindness. "Emotional and scared. She's had a few rough days and barely sleeps. She tries to put on a smile for everyone around her, but it's a bluff for how she really feels."

"It's understandable. I only hope I didn't give you the impression that I'm an aggressive person. I saw him trying to hurt Ale, and I reacted to protect him."

"No worries. I'm grateful you and Ale were there. I don't want to imagine what could have happened otherwise."

"Do me a favor and get a system with a code to the backyard door and a few security cameras. It will give you some peace of mind, and me too to some extent."

I try not to read too much between his words and only nod. "How was your show? I didn't get to see it."

"Ale won for a change. My head wasn't in it and he is better at the physical challenges. I got bathed in beer. Do I still smell like it?" He offers me an arm.