Native American vs. Indian

If you are not Native American, you don't have the authority to call someone Indian. It's disrespectful. First off, I'm Native American and I hate being called Indian by someone not Native, as most of us do.

The reason we are called Indians is because Columbus didn't know his directions and thought he was in India when he was actually in America.

In the city (just the city, not state yet) we don't celebrate Columbus Day, but instead Indigenous Peoples Day.

The correct term is Native American. Someone else who is not Native does not hold the right to call us Indian, as many of us find that offensive, including myself.

I'm not racist at all against white people (who CAN experience racism, by the way) but it annoys me when people think that we are called Indians when that's not the actual correct term.

People have to be really careful when using 'Indian' to refer to Native Americans because it could come off as rude in a way.

Also, I hate how people are using dreamcatchers but most people don't even know what they were originally used for.

If you don't know, dreamcatchers are a Native American thing made to catch bad dreams so you only have good ones.

I wish that people would at least put the actual use of them on objects before selling them because otherwise people could only like them for their looks and not what they're actually used for.

Another thing is that we are not all drug users and alcoholics. One of my friends used to tell me how I would fall into the steps of my ancestors and do drugs, and that really offended me because I've never wanted to do drugs ever because of my past.

I find it incredibly offensive how someone can just say that we are all drug users and all of that shit. My tribe is amazing, and I'm proud to be Native.

We drum and dance still, and I even know a few words in my Native Language. I can't spell them because they use a lot of weird letters, but it's really cool.

We are so much more than just drug users and alcoholics and I feel like we don't get enough credit for that.

These are my views, so please don't take any of this to heart or get hurt by this. Thanks!

Comment your opinions!!!

I love you!!!!