Company

No, no, no I wouldn't cry, not AGAIN. I would be breaking my promise and she made me PROMISE not to cry anymore. Still, how could I not? I missed her with EVERYTHING in me. I knew what her services meant to the world, but they still didn't make me feel ANY better.

       She'd been gone since last November, making today, December 23, 2022 a full year and month since she last left me. You could probably call me BALLISTIC for wanting my wife back, but you wouldn't know the whole story. So let me explain.

       Y/N Y/L/N and I met back in high school as sophomores. She was the popular girl with everything going for her, and I was FORTUNATE enough to say I was one of those GOOD THINGS in her life. She had big hopes of joining the air force for her love of protecting and serving and ANYTHING that had to do with planes. When she asked me to marry her straight out of high school, I knew the reason she wanted an early marriage. There was always the chance that my wife Sergeant First Class Y/N Jauregui - Y/L/N wouldn't return from serving in the United States Air Force.

       They were somewhere in Kuwait, looking for illegal missiles and needed aerial photography for evidence to convict Kuwait embassy leader Oman. Of course she wasn't supposed to tell me ANYTHING, but that didn't mean that it always stopped her.

       The mission according to my wife would take an estimated time of six months at most, but SEVEN months later and she STILL wasn't home. I tried to put my worst fears aside and instead tried to focus on the way my - OUR son Noah slept soundly in his crib without a care in the world.

       Christmas music blared softly through the stereo in the living room, as it was only two days before Christmas day, and a few hours before Christmas Eve. There was a picture of Y/N and I taken from two years ago when I was still pregnant with Noah where her arms were wrapped around my growing stomach. Y/N had it framed in a special green frame because she said it matched the color of my eyes. The SAME eyes that were threatening to spill tears out at the fond memories we had and the thought that I wouldn't get to spend the wintery holiday with the love of my life.

       I was snapped out of my thoughts by the doorbell ringing, and frowned at the insinuation that one of my relatives or friends had made a surprise visit - again.

       My parents, coworkers, and closest friends each all felt that I'd fallen into a slum depression after my wife left and hadn't returned. Could they really blame me if I had though, Y/N was my EVERYTHING. I didn't know a life outside of being with Y/N anymore.

       What I saw on the other side of the door was enough to make me scream. I'm pretty sure the neighborhood would be in utter shock and confusion as to why I was screaming my head off during the early morning hours, but I had good reason to be screaming like a lunatic.

       “Calm down baby, I'm here. I'm here." Her cold fingertips touched the heated skin on my arms and I think I died inside; my wife was home and more exuberant than ever.

       “Y-you're y-you're here! I'm — I'm not dreaming!"

       “Of course not baby. I'm here, here to keep you company forever."

       A/N: Part Two??? Comment!