It Can Smile

Edward was curled up in a ball on his bed. Alphonse had gotten one for him a week ago, using the excuse, "You can't continue sleeping on a broken mattress Brother." He was entangled in the blankets, air conditioning running, in order to keep him cold. He buried his head into his pillow. He had barely gotten any sleep, nightmares usually keeping him awake. The dreams would vary between the man's bloodied face screaming at him, and everyone yelling at him, saying how much they had hated him. Ed now knew the feelings of a killer. Well, a killer who still has his sanity anyway. The guilt was practically suffocating the blonde alchemist. Suddenly, knock from the door pierced through Edward's thoughts. "Fullmetal? Open up. It's me, Mustang." The man said. The blonde felt himself stiffen. He decided not to answer, hoping Roy would just grow bored, and walk away. "Don't act like your not there. Alphonse told me you would be here." Oh, the irony. Edward just snuggled father into the blanket, not wanting to let Roy inside. The raven haired Captain however had a different idea. Alphonse had told him that there was a spare key under the mat, just in case Edward wouldn't let him. Thank god Al told him. He bent towards the mat, and grabbed the silver key, slowly, sliding it into the lock. He then twisted the knob, and pushed the door open. Roy stepped inside the apartment, and glanced around at it. The apartment was clean for the most part. Roy looked around and walked towards what he guessed was the bedroom. His guess was confirmed when he saw the bundled up blonde alchemist. "Go away." Ed mumbled. Roy frowned slightly and walked towards him. "Edward...you can talk to me...." The male replied, not knowing what else to say. "No, Mustang, I can't! Just leave me alone, and go find some paperwork to do..." The blonde mumbled. Roy shook his head defiantly. "I'm not leaving until you tell me what's bothering you." He explained. Edward groaned slightly. "Why do you want to know so badly?! It's not worth caring about!" He exclaimed, sitting up and looking at the raven haired man. Roy was surprised, but decided it was the right moment. "Because Edward.....I-I like you. A-a lot. And I can't stand to see you beating yourself up over this. I worry y'know. Not having you in the office, made me realize how in such a short amount of time, you've become so important to me." Roy said softly. Golden orbs widened in surprise, and tears began to form in his eyes. Ed bit his bottom lip before throwing himself into Roy's open arms. The Captain pulled Ed into his lap, so that he'd be more comfortable. Roy gently stroked the blonde's head, and kissed the top of it. Eventually, the blonde's cries had died down to sniffles, and Roy gently squeezed him. "R-Roy....?" Ed slowly asked, he could feel himself trembling. "What is it?" The Captain replied. "The reason I haven't gone to the office is because....well, I-I got a job request..." Edward began, refusing to look at Roy. "Oh Ed, if that was the reason why you-", "The reason why Alphonse had disappeared when we found that bolt was because he was kidnapped. By the client that called me. And, they threatened to kill him, if I didn't accept their job...." The small alchemist quickly cut him off, and Roy frowned at this. "What was the job?" He asked softly. He felt the blonde stiffen in his hold, and Roy just hugged him again. "Th-They wanted me t-to....kill someone..." The blonde mumbled into Roy's chest. The Captain's eyes widened as he looked at the blonde in his lap. "What?" He breathed. "I-I took another life.....the-they're dead because of me...!" Edward cried, shutting his eyes tightly, scared that Roy would leave him, and hate him forever. The man just held him close, rubbing small circles on his back. "Shhh. It's alright Ed." He whispered softly. The blonde just nuzzled his head into Roy's chest. The Captain felt his shirt getting wet, but his didn't mind. Roy gently lifted the blonde's head by his chin, and looked at him. "May I?" He asked, and Ed slowly nodded, blushing a little. The raven nodded, and moved towards Ed's lips, catching him in a kiss. The blonde alchemist's blush only darkened. And soon enough, Ed found himself being pinned against his bed, Roy holding his arms over his head. He felt Roy kissing his cheeks, and soon he realized. 'He's touching my tears....' When Roy was done, he kissed the blonde one last time, and pulled away. "To hell with just liking you. I'm in love with you Edward." He confessed. Edward smiled a little, and sat up to hug him again. "I love you too Roy..."