Prologue

*****Not for sensitive readers!!*****

"Lee-Lee, stay inside." Daddy snaps at me as I reach for the door.

I walk over to the window as I hear another loud crack.

"Get away from the window!" Mommy yells, and Tyty comes running into the room, looking very nervous.

"But I want to see the fireworks." I complain, using the voice I've always used to manipulate Daddy.

"There aren't any fireworks." Tyty says harshly just as another set of bangs go off.

"Liar!" I yell, running outside, slamming the door behind me.

"Liza, no!" Daddy runs out, and engulfs me.

I hear another bang, and Daddy sinks to the ground, pushing me down with him.

"Daddy?" I ask, scared when I realise that Daddy isn't moving.

Then I see Mommy falling to the ground, red blossoming over her white nurse’s uniform.

She reveals a stricken looking Tyty, who runs to me.

Dad smiles at me and Tyty. "Remember kids: God provides salvation." He whispers, and his breathing disappears.

I hear laughing, and turn around to see a large, white, fat man laughing at us. He kicks daddy’s body from me, and grabs hold of my hair.

Still with laughter bubbling up, he puts his Colt.45 to my left knee and pulls the trigger. My leg explodes in pain, and I scream.

He lays his gun down, and rips my clothes from my body.

As he penetrates me, I scream in pain and fear, praying for unconsciousness.

Suddenly I hear another loud bang, and feel something wet splattering all over my face.

The man goes limp, dropping all of his weight on me.

Tyty rolls him off me, and picks me up, carrying me into the house.

Then he picks up mommy’s emergency cell phone, and phones an ambulance and the police. While we wait, he puts a cloth to my leg, stopping the flow of blood. He hands me a bathrobe to cover myself with, then carries me back outside.

The first thing the police officer said when he took in our front yard was this:

"My God."