Avoidance

I sigh as I am forced to introduce myself to yet another of the damned classes. By now the entire school knows the nerd.

Nick’s favourite. The whole school knows of what he did in the cafeteria. I can see the mixed feelings about it. The guys have mixed feelings. They can’t figure out the story behind Nick’s liking to me. The girls are jealous. Stupid plastic pieces of crap who think the world belongs to them.

Sorry. I just had to get that out there.

I’ve spent a lot of time with Nick, Clem and Will. Unfortunately, they aren’t in this class.

“My name is Lisanna Sinclaire. I can’t dance due to an injury. That’s all you need to know.” I say, rolling my eyes, and walking away from my teacher. This is the dance class, one of the classes I’ve always loved, but never could properly participate in.

I walk to a group of kids break dancing, wishing I could join them.

“You have a problem, doll face?” One of the guys spit out, and I grin.

“Naw, no problem.” I state, giving him a friendly smile.

“Wanna dance?” A girl asks, earning a couple of incredulous looks from her peers.

I give her a small smile. “I want to.” I say my voice earnest. Then I point to my knee. “Unfortunately the Doc told me I can’t. In a month’s time, it should be fine.”

“I take your word for that.” She says, turning away from me.

I give her a nod I know she can’t see, and walk away.

“Miss Sinclaire!” The dance teacher calls me, and I walk towards her, leaning on my cane to keep the weight off my knee.

“Yeah?”

“Professor McAllistair has requested your presence.” She states. “You are excused. Take your bag.”

I nod, picking up my bag and walking towards Nick’s class, only to find him waiting for me in the hallway.

“Yo.” My voice is colder than I expected it to be.

“I figured since you can’t dance, I’ll use this class to help you catch up in IT.” He states, taking my bag from me and leading me to his class.

“Boring.” I mutter, hoping he won’t hear me.

A frown crosses his face, but he ignores me, angering me a slight bit.

“Sit down, log in.” He orders. “Open Delphi.”

I do as he says, annoyance burning through me.

He pulls up a seat next to me, and starts talking. “I’m going to explain Arrays to you.” He states, and I roll my eyes.

“I did that last year.” I say, my voice coming out flat.

“Databases?”

“Done.”

“Text files?”

“Done.”

“Web design?”

“My favourite.”

“What script did you work in?”

“Which school?” I ask, causing him to raise an eyebrow.

“Just answer.”

“Java, Python. Mostly those two. I like C++.” He frowns.

“Have you ever worked on Delphi before?”

“No.” I state, turning my head to face him. “Delphi is boring.”