Family is important

It has been two weeks since the party, in which I had once again done everything in my power to avoid Nick. To be honest, I’ve been avoiding a lot of people. We did that hacking job for my friend, and the moment I got paid I transferred the cash, but since then I’ve kept my contact with everyone to a bare minimum. After school I’d disappear into my room, ignoring the knocks on my door, letting people think I’m out. Which apparently they did, though I have no idea how they swallowed that. My car is kept at Derek’s. He brings it to me over weekends. I’m busy packing my bags to go home to check up on things there. I’ve been excused from school for today and tomorrow, since I have to organise a couple of things at the Home. I zip the top of my laptop-case shut and am about to enter the bathroom when someone knocks.

“Come in. It’s open.” I call, taking a makeup wipe and removing all the blemishes on my skin. Then I pull my hair into a high ponytail. I’m in the process of removing my contacts when a shadow appears at my door.

“You’re supposed to be in class.” I say, sparing him a quick glance.

“So are you.” He counters. He is taking in my appearance.

I’m wearing a tank-top which I rolled up to reveal my stomach, to relieve myself from the heat in my room. Someone screwed around with the central heating in this place, and the school hadn’t fixed it yet. On my legs is a short pair of jeans, and I’m wearing short combat boots.

“I’m going home. I already talked to Principal Phillips.” I state, brushing past him and into my room.

“That bag is all you’re taking?” He asks as I sling my laptop over my shoulder. I grab a coat, knowing that the Home is in a cold area, and nod.

“I’m going home. I have clothes there.” I explain, ushering him outside. I quickly lock my door, and start my way downstairs.

“You’re not using your cane.” He remarks, falling into step beside me.

“Was there something you needed, Professor McAllistair?” I ask, annoyance slightly audible in my voice.

“Actually, yeah. I need a ride into town. My car’s at the shop, and I have to collect it.” He explains quickly. “I saw Derek with your car.”

I nod. “Okay, but we have to go. I have an appointment at five.”

I quickly trade places with Derek, and slip in behind the wheel. After dropping him off, I head into town.

I hear Nick cursing, and look up to see a young girl dressed skimpily, standing at the side of the road.

“Damn prostitutes.” He mutters, his voice betraying his anger.

“She’s just a kid. She can’t be older than sixteen.” I remark, my eyes trailing over her, taking note of the goose bumps on her body. Her eyes hold the expression of someone who has given up on life, but I can see none of the usual signs of drug abuse on her.

 I pull over a couple of feet away from her, and get out, grabbing my coat in the process.

“Lisanna, get in the car!” Nicks voice is angry, but I shrug him off, continuing.

The girl looks at me, her gaze apprehensive. “I don’t do women.” Her voice is soft, and I notice a hint of sadness in her eyes.

“I’m not a client, kid.” I murmur, stopping two feet away from her. “What’s your name?”

“Candy.” She looks weary. “Are you a cop?”

“Your real name.” I clarify, ignoring her question.

“I’m not sharing that with a random cop.”

“I’m a student. In school.” I show her my ID to confirm my age. My voice stays calm and collected. “Are you cold?” I ask, holding my coat out for her to take. I can feel the wind nipping at me. I had pulled down my tank top in the car, but put on the heater. It’s much colder out here than you’d expect.