Hospitals and plastics

Nick

I can't help but smirk at her threat. Isn't that nice? I wonder what she would do if she knew that I very much wanted that threat to be true.

I quickly place the phone call, smiling at how easy it was to convince my father that the story is true.

Yes, my father. Principal Phillips is my adoptive father.

I've been living with him since my dad walked out on us, and my mother committed suicide.

I walk back to Lisannas room, only to frown slightly when I see she isn't there.

Her papers, however, are lying on the table.

Unable to contain my curiosity, I pick it up.

I look through the papers, reading random titbits of information.

Her occupation says she is an author. I wonder what kind of books she writes.

My eyes land on a word and my attention is immediately drawn to the question.

Cause of injury?

'Bullet wound.' Is written in her hasty, slightly annoyed handwriting.

Yes, even her handwriting shows her annoyance. She was scowling the whole time she filled in these papers.

I wonder why she hates being here so much.

I notice these two words are practically engraved into the paper. She was pressing very hard. She was obviously pissed about something.

"You do know those are private, right?" Her doctor asks, and I turn around.

I feel like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie bowl.

I like this doctor. He is calm, and Lisanna obviously likes him.

And he has a twisted sense of humour.

"Sorry." I say, handing them to him.

He takes the paper, and looks them over, his eyes also landing on those two words that jumped out at me.

"Bastard." He mutters under his breath, and I look at him, my curiosity perked.

"What happened with her leg?" I ask, and he looks up, looking slightly surprised to still see me standing there.

"Are you aware of the nature in which her parents died?" He asks after a while.

"She said they were shot in front of her and her brother." I answer, thinking of the way she had snapped earlier. I was surprised that she had kept all those emotions pent up for so long, because this was obviously the first time she cried.

The doctor looks at me, frowning softly. "I'm surprised she told you that. She must trust you."

Trust me? That girl hates me.

I deserve it though. I was being a bastard.

"Her parents were caught in the cross-fire during a gang war. She blames herself, because she ran outside. They followed her out, and some sick bastards saw them and shot them." He bites back anger, and I frown.

"The bodies were filled with multiple bullets, meaning that no matter who it was that stood there with the gun, they would have died." He blinks back a couple of tears. This man was personally involved in some way.

"The sick bastard who placed a bullet in each of her parents, walked up to her, and laughing like the drug ridden man that he was, he put his gun to her knee and pulled the trigger on point blank range. He then proceeded to rape her. Her brother was forced to watch, and eventually, he picked up the man’s gun and shot him in the head. He was cleared of all charges because of the circumstances." The doctor finishes and I look at him, horrified at what Lisanna had to go through.