4. The Symbol

I looked at Mum, she was lost in thought. After a few minutes Mum sighed and said, "Call me Izzy."

"Mum?"

"I should have told you a long time ago, it's just...I love you and I didn't want you to leave me."

"Mum? I would never leave you, you're the greatest Mum in the whole world."

"But you're not from this world!"

"...What?"

"You're not my son, I found you when I was passing through the mountains. You were only a tiny baby and you were crying. I found you in a tiny cave at the bottom of the tallest mountain, it looked like you were a normal boy. But when I turned you around, there was a red symbol printed on the back of your head.

  "But I brought you home anyways, your dad

  "But I brought you home anyways, your dad...he was happy. Then we had Heidi, and I thought our family was perfect. Then came your 3rd birthday, and he came. Riley. He 'possessed' one of the adults at the party. Mrs. Bateman. He was going to kill you, but Ian saved you. And now he's gone..."

  I was shocked, all these years, the feeling that I belonged and I was around my family. I sighed and pulled Mum into a tight hug. I couldn't let her down, I loved her and she loved me. Then Alia joined us and gave me a small smile. 

  "How are you doing, dear?" Mum said as she helped Alia onto the sofa. 

  "Just a little bit sleepy, but I'm feeling better. Thank you Mrs Kenny." Alia smiled.

  "It's getting late, you kids better go to sleep. I'll pull out another mattress and you can sleep in Thomas's room, if he doesn't mind." I nodded, and Mum stood up and left the room.

  "You feeling alright?" I asked her, she still looked beautiful.

  "Yeah, I just need some sleep."

  "You're going home tomorrow, I'm going on a trip after I drop you off."

  "No...I'm going with you, I don't want you to go alone."

  "You can't, it's too dangerous. And this is my problem, not yours."

  "Too bad, I'm going." Alia stood up and left the room. I sighed and followed her, turning off the light on my way out.