30 Years Later...

Jennifer

The green light signalled we landed, there was a loud cheer coming out of my headphones, the crew back on Earth was overwhelmed. I smiled and unbuckled my seatbelt. It was a 2 week trip, we were tired and stinky. But it was worth it, we just discovered more about the Milky Way.

My mum, well my foster mum was here with me, she was so excited to visit this planet. I saw Alia walk beside me, she had a few wrinkles but her eyes were twinkling with tears. I smiled at her and bent down. Kenitris was a smooth blue planet with small crates here and there.

The crew scattered around to get footage, I was giving permission to roam around, but not to go too far. Everyone had their own special star. I didn't know Thomas, after he died, Alia adopted me from the orphan home. Alia used to tell me the story over and over again when I was younger. 

"He was a great man, Thomas Kenny. Even if life threw him dangers that he was unfamiliar with, he took it on and risked his life to save mine." When she told me the story, she always ended up with tears but the smile never wavered. 

As I walked around, on the dusty blue rock, the story came back to me and I felt warm. I smiled and stepped over a crater. The dark sky was filled with stars, behind my space suit helmet, I smiled and tripped over a crater.