Changing Will [boyxboy]

“Ethan, your friends are here!”

                My mother’s voice went up far too high in pitch when she said the word friends. I stood up and rolled my eyes, leaving my bedroom.

                “Have fun with your friends!” she said, again putting way too much emphasis on the word friends.

                “Have fun with your craziness,” I grumbled.

                She followed me to the door, watching me as I pulled my shoes on. I could see Benji’s car parked out in the driveway. I stood up to open the door and paused, glancing back at my mom.

                “Are you going to follow me to his car, too? Sheesh woman, and you wonder why I don’t have any friends,” I said with a sigh.

                “Just go and have fun Ethan,” she said, reaching out and squeezing my shoulder.

                “Yea, yea, yea,” I said, brushing her hand off and leaving the house.

                I climbed into the backseat of Benji’s car and shut the door. He pulled out of my driveway and took off towards Sonnet’s house.

                “Hi Ethan!” Gideon greeted from the passenger seat.

                “Hey Gideon. Nice of you to say hi, Benji,” I said.

                “I’m driving!” he said.

                “Yes, because it’s so hard to drive and talk at the same time. I completely understand,” I assured.

                “I don’t like you Ethan,” he said in annoyance.

                I grinned. “Yea, I know.”

                We fell into comfortable silence, Alesana playing out of the car speakers. Gideon and Benji sang along with the music together until Benji pulled into Sonnet’s driveway.

                The three of us got out of the car and I followed them up to the front door. Benji rang the doorbell and we waited until Sonnet pulled the door open.

                “Hola,” she greeted, stepping aside so that we could enter.

                “I’m hungry. Do you have food?” I asked.

                “Nice to see you too Ethan,” she said, rolling her eyes. “But yes, my mom is almost done making dinner. There’s maybe ten minutes until it’s ready. So until then, let’s go in my bedroom.”

                We followed her upstairs. Benji and Gideon were holding hands as they walked, laughing at some joke.

                Sonnet paused once we were at the top of the stairs and motioned at us to follow her to her living room. Her parents were standing in there together, concern on their faces.

                “I don’t know,” Sonnet’s mom whispered. “I checked his grades today, and he failed another quiz. It’s like he’s not even trying anymore. I’m so worried about him, Leo.”

                Sonnet’s dad, Leo, sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “I’ll try talking to him again, but every other time I’ve tried, he just tunes me out. I’m worried about him too, Grace.”