Changing Will {9}

I sat in my bedroom, my music playing out of my speakers. I was so damn bored right now, but Benji and Gideon were on a date, and Sonnet was out with her mom for the day.

                “Fight for the fuck ups, stand up for true love, we’ll never give up,” I mumbled along. Yep, I was definitely gay.

                I sighed and stood up, shutting my speakers off. I grabbed a book off of my dresser and tucked it under my arm securely, leaving my bedroom.

                “Where are you going Ethan?” my mom asked as I walked past her in the hallway.

                “The coffee shop,” I said.

                She pulled out some money and handed it to me. “Have fun, dear,” she said.

                “You’re not going out with your friends?” dad asked. He was leaning in the entryway to the kitchen, watching me curiously.

                “They’re busy,” I said, shaking my head.

                “Oh. Well, another day then,” he said, not meeting my eyes.

                I nodded at him and turned away. I knew that look in his eyes too well. A look that said he was disappointed in me, and disgusted with himself for it.

                “See you guys later,” I said and left the house.

                I popped in my earphones as I walked down the street towards the coffee shop. I nodded my head along with the music.

                “You could be the corpse, and I could be the killer. If I could be the devil, you could be the sinner. You could be the drugs, and I could be the dealer. Everything you say is like music to my ears,” my music yelled.

                I walked for a while, until I reached the coffee shop. I went up to the counter and ordered myself an ice coffee, paying for it and taking it over to a table on the far side of the little coffee shop.

                I sat down and opened my book, breaking the spine and setting it on the table. I sipped my coffee as I read, one headphone in and my music turned low so I could focus on the words in the book.

                “I just keep running into you, huh?”

                I looked up at Will. He had an ice coffee in his hand, standing in front of the table I was at. He was watching me with little interest.

                “Take a seat,” I said, gesturing to the empty seat across from me.

                He sat down, peeking over at my book. “What are you reading?”

                “We Need To Talk About Kevin,” I said, putting a bookmark in it and shutting it. “What are you doing here?”

                He lifted his coffee. “Gee Ethan, I wonder what I could possibly be doing at a coffee shop.”

                “Sass is my game,” I reminded him, sipping my coffee. “I see you’re a French vanilla ice coffee with extra cream, regular sugar kind of guy.”

                “How can you tell?” he asked in confusion.

                “I get the same thing. I recognize it when I see it. Don’t test me when it comes to ice coffee. I live off of the stuff,” I said.