Changing Will {5}

“What do you mean you need to see my brother? It’s almost 8!” Sonnet said in annoyance.

                “Sonnet, just let me in. It’s important,” I said, pushing her aside.

                “Well just let yourself in!” she cried, throwing her hands up.

                “Thanks, I will.” I stepped into the house and went downstairs, knocking on Will’s bedroom door.

                “Sonnet, go away. I don’t have your headphones!” he called back, sounding as annoyed as Sonnet had.

                I pushed the door open. “I don’t want her headphones,” I said.

                “Jesus,” he groaned.

                “No, I’m just Ethan,” I said, going into his room and over to his bed. “Nice body, by the way. I like your abs.”

                Will was lying on his bed topless. He was wearing baggy black shorts that hung to his knees. His hair was dripping wet and curling at the ends. His abs were profound at the angle he was sitting at, and I was loving it.

                Focus, Ethan.

                Will scowled at me and sat up, grabbing a hoodie and pulling it over his head. “What do you want? What are you doing here so late?”

                “I came to warn you. You should be thanking me,” I said, sitting on the edge of the bed.

                “Warning me? Warning me about what?” he asked in confusion.

                “Jude. He said if I keep using you as my meat shield, he and his bitches are going to kick your ass,” I said with a shrug. “So just beware.”

                “I’m not your meat shield,” he said, the scowl coming back to his face.

                “Jude’s words, not mine.”

                “Well, I’m not afraid of a little pest like Jude Tibbits,” he said.

                “But three little pests could be a problem,” I said.

                “Maybe for you,” he said. “But I can handle myself. And I can handle you, since you can’t protect yourself.”

                “I’m not sure if that’s sweet or offensive,” I said.

                He looked at me carefully, studying my face. I let him, staying quiet as he did so. His eyes trained on the scar under my eye.

                “Where did you get that scar?” he asked.

                “Landon. He wears his dad’s class ring,” I said.

                Will leaned back against his pillows. “Well, thanks for the warning, I guess. Now get out. It’s late.”

                “Dude, it’s like 8. You’re 20 years old. You don’t go to bed at 8,” I said, raising an eyebrow.

                “True, but I don’t like you in my room,” he said.

                “Don’t lie to me. Who doesn’t want this adorable face in their room?” I asked, gesturing to my adorable face.