Changing Will {4}

“How was school?” mom asked as I walked upstairs the next day.

                “It was fine,” I said with a shrug.

                “Why aren’t you with your friends?” she asked, frowning.

                “Benji and Gideon are on a date, and Sonnet said she was sick of having us at her house,” I said.

                “Well, alright,” she said, standing up.

                “I’m going to head down to the bookstore, mom,” I said.

                She dug in her pocket and produced some money, handing it to me. “Here you go, Ethan. You’ve been such a good boy lately. Buy yourself a few books.”

                “Thanks mom,” I said.

                I went into my bedroom and dropped my bag onto the bed. I stuffed the money in my pocket and made my way out of the house, starting towards the bookstore with my earphones in.

                “Sympathy won’t get the best of me. Misery, this shit is killing me,” Billy Talent sang out of my earphones.

                Someone grabbed my arm and yanked me backwards. I stumbled and caught my balance, looking up.

                “If you wanted my attention, you could’ve just said hi,” I said, pulling my earphones out and shoving them in my pocket.

                “I’m going to kick your ass for bringing up Gideon,” Jude snarled, his grip on my arm tightening. Nate and Landon stood behind him, glaring at me.

                “Did you stalk me here?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

                “We were walking to the coffee shop,” Nate said, crossing his arms. “Then we noticed you. You never wise up, do you? You always walk alone without paying attention. It’s like you’re begging us to kick your ass.”

                I tried to get away from Jude, but he just yanked me closer. I sighed in annoyance, trying not to let panic settle in. Sure they had tried to shove nuts down my throat before even though I was deathly allergic to them. Sure they had torn my ear open before.

                But, hey, no reason to panic, right?

                Jude’s leg shot out, wrapping around mine and pulling me off balance. I clumsily fell to the ground and yelped as Jude’s foot connected with my chest.

                I fell backwards, coughing and trying to catch my breath. Jude bent down, gripping my shirt and pulling me to my feet.

                “I’ll teach you to shut your damn mouth, you bastard,” he said. He pulled back his fist and let it fly forward at my mouth.

                I whimpered as his fist collided with my mouth. I tasted blood and squeezed my eyes shut, trying to fight off the pain and trying to struggle away from Jude.

                “Hey!”

                The furious voice had me opening my eyes. Jude’s face had paled a little, but his impossibly black eyes were trained on the figure storming over to us with a glare.

                “Go away,” Jude said, his voice threatening.

                “Let him go,” Will said.