Changing Will {20}

I pushed my front door open and stepped inside. I was soaking wet and freezing cold. But I didn’t care. My mind kept replaying the scene with Will. Just before we got out of his car, we had been kissing and joking around. Now we were broken up.

                “Ethan? Is that you?” mom called.

                I couldn’t let my parents see me like this. They would never stop worrying about me, and I didn’t want that.

                “Yea,” I called and cleared my weak voice.

                “What are you doing home so early?” she asked, her voice getting closer.

                I turned to hurry down the stairs. I could hideout in the downstairs bathroom. Take a shower to clean myself up. Change into dry clothes.

                “Ethan!”

                My mom’s voice was shocked and concern. I cursed and turned to see her standing at the top of the stairs.

                She hurried down to me. “Oh my god, you are absolutely soaked. Your skin is even turning blue!”

                She grabbed my hand and pulled me to the bathroom. She pulled my jacket and shirt off and wrapped a towel around me.

                “Take a hot shower. Warm yourself up. What happened? Where’s Will?” she asked.

                “We broke up. I don’t want to talk about it,” I said, my voice warning.

                She bit her lip and nodded. “Okay. Warm yourself up with a hot shower. I’ll make you some hot chocolate when you’re out.”

                She left the bathroom and I stripped down all the way, turning on the shower and stepping into the warm water. I looked down at the scars on my legs and clenched my fists.

                “No, no, no. I won’t,” I snarled. “I won’t do it again. I won’t hurt myself.”

                I leaned against the wall, trying to cling to my strength and sanity. Will would calm down and come to his senses. He just had to.

                Hell, I bet by tomorrow Will would be calling me to apologize. I would tease him about the incident and we would hang out and kiss and everything would be fine again.

                “He won’t break his promise to me. He promised to never let me be alone. To never leave me,” I reminded myself.

                I turned the water off when it started to get cold. I got out, wrapping a towel around my waist and heading upstairs. I pulled on a pair of sweatpants and an old T-shirt.

                I just wanted to stay holed up in my room, but I knew my mom would worry about me if I did. So I forced myself to leave my room and go into the living room.

                “Hey Ethan. Are you okay?” dad asked me with a frown. Mom had told him what had happened.

                “I’m fine.” I put on my usual smile. An old routine. Smile, laugh, spit out sarcastic remarks. Act like nothing was wrong. Just like always. Pretend that horrible loneliness wasn’t eating me up inside. Just like always.

                God I was such an overdramatic pessimist.

                “Why don’t you call your friends to come over? I bet hanging out with Benji would cheer you up,” he said, offering me a small smile.