Changing Will {17}

“That’s real cute. Thank you for that, Judeikas,” I grumbled, admiring my appearance. The bruise on my chest had gotten worse overnight.

                I sighed and pulled a shirt on, hiding the bruise. My hair was a hot mess, so I pulled a beanie on to hide it.

                “Damn, I look like a hipster. A really, really gay hipster,” I told my appearance.

                It was laundry day, so all I had to wear was a green and white plaid shirt with grey sleeves and a grey hood, and tight jeans. With a beanie on and my hair messily tumbling out from under it, I totally looked like a flaming hipster.

                “Fantastic,” I said, grabbing my bag and leaving my bedroom.

                “Ethan, why are you wearing jeans that tight?” my dad asked as I entered the kitchen.

                “Because I like to show off my junk,” I said, grabbing a bagel and beginning to abusively drown it in butter. “Or maybe it’s just because it’s laundry day. I’ll leave that up to you to decide.”

                He eyed me and I saw him fight off the distaste rising in his eyes. He hated to see his son wearing jeans that probably belonged on a girl. Hell, he hated everything about his son.

                “Have a good day at school,” he said, getting up and leaving the room.

                “I can tell how heartfelt that was,” I said to the empty kitchen, rolling my eyes.

                I finished eating and went down to the basement, where my mom was battling our washing machine. She was trying to force about 3 times the amount of clothes it could hold.

                “Mom, I’m going to be late for school. Unless I’m granted the godly permission to drive myself,” I said.

                “No, no, no. You can’t drive yourself, Ethan. We only have two cars and I need to get to work. Let’s go,” she said, giving up on the washing machine and shooting it a look that promised there would be a round two of this fight.

                I climbed in the car with her and popped my ear phones in. I stared out of the window, dreading school today. Jude was no doubt going to give me more trouble like the asshole he was.

                Mom pulled up to the sidewalk. “Bye Ethan. Have a good day,” she said with a smile.

                “Yea, probably not. Catch you later,” I said, jumping out of the car and heading into the misery known as high school.

                I caught up with Benji, Gideon, and Sonnet in the halls. The bell rang and we went off to class. To my surprise, lunch came without Jude giving me any problems, even though I walked by him in the hall a couple of times.

                I sat down with my friends, resisting the urge to take a nap on the table. I really had to get over all these stupid nightmares. Thank you, William.

                “Can I tell them?” Sonnet asked me, grinning.

                “Tell them what?” I asked, raising my eyebrow.

                “Will,” she said smugly. “I was in the kitchen when you two came upstairs to talk to my parents.”

                I sighed and turned to Benji and Gideon. “I’m tonguing Sonnet’s brother.”