Changing Will {21}

“Are you sure about this?” Asher asked as we got out of the car.

                “I have to do this. For Ethan,” I said tightly.

                Asher sighed and nodded. “Alright, come on. They’re usually here.”

                I followed him into his house. I had gone to all of my classes today, keeping my head high with the help of Phoenix and Asher. Phoenix had been right; people had lost interest when they found out that I wasn’t screwing an underage guy. I had freaked out on Ethan over nothing.

                But I was going to make it right.

                “Hi Asher. Hi Will,” his mom greeted with a smile.

                “Are Nate and Jude here?” Asher asked.

                “Yes, they’re in Nathan’s room. Why?” she asked curiously.

                “We were just looking for them,” Asher said with a shrug. “Let’s go, Will.”

                I followed Asher upstairs and down the hallway. He stopped in front of one of the bedrooms and met my eyes.

                “Are you sure you want to do this?” he asked.

                “Yes,” I said, forcing confidence into my voice. I had gotten good at faking confidence.

                As Asher turned and gripped the door handle, I pushed all emotions out of my eyes. Nothing to give away the slight fear and anxiety I had. Just a cold, emotionless look. The one Ethan despised so much.

                I followed Asher into the bedroom. Nate was lying on his bed, a controller in hand. Jude was sitting in a beanbag chair, mashing buttons wildly. Both boys had their eyes intensely focused on the TV screen.

                “What?” Nate asked, glancing at Asher. He froze and did a double take, noticing me this time.

                Jude paused their game and watched, a smug look in his eyes. He knew why I was here right now.

                “Jude,” I said, stepping forward.

                “Will,” he greeted pleasantly.

                “I’m gay,” I said, forcing myself to speak slow and calm. “I’m gay and I’m dating Ethan. So you’re little trick? It didn’t work.”

                “I have no idea what you’re talking about,” he said innocently. “How is Ethan, anyways? I saw him having a panic attack in the hallway yesterday. As his boyfriend, you would know how he’s doing. I mean, you are his boyfriend, right?”

                Anger tried to swim into my expression, but I absentmindedly forced it away, along with the aching sadness eating away at me. A smirk was curling on Jude’s lips.

                “He is my boyfriend. And he’s doing fine,” I said.

                “That’s good to hear,” he said with a nod. The smug look in his eyes announced that he knew I was lying to him.

                “I really hate bastards like you,” I said, my voice as emotionless as my eyes. “You can go around and tell people I’m gay all you want. But you know what? It doesn’t matter. Because I don’t care anymore. You can do whatever the hell you want to Ethan and his friends. But just know that hurting them will piss me off, and I can promise you that you don’t want to do that. I’m sure you recall the kick you got from my little sister.”