TWENTY SIX ⇢ ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY

MTV SCREAM'S CARLSON EVANS CAST AS THE "NEW AND IMPROVED" GWEN STACY

In recent news surrounding Spiderman: Homecoming, it was announced today that Tom Holland's girlfriend and talented actress Carlson Evans (kin to Chris Evans who plays Captain America) is to be Gwen Stacy in the upcoming film(s).

The director  has commented upon people's protests, letting them know what he's interpreting with the "new and improved Gwen".
We spoke with him on the phone this morning.

"We casted Carlson with the mindset that's she is great at playing a character with a hard-ass exterior, but one who is the sweetest and most genuine person to her friends. We also realized that while we do want Gwen Stacy, we want a new Gwen Stacy. We want her to have known Peter, to have grown with him and been his friend before his romantic interest. We are making Gwen so much more than a love interest, and I'm proud of that. Carlson is perfect to transform this character."

When asked how they found her, he said through Tom. "Tom spoke to me about her, not even really thinking that I would cast her I think. He was just talking about the recent episodes of Scream, (and this was before they were dating), and how he watched Carlson portray this persona of a real badass perfectly. He spoke almost poetically about how she was so real, because she still had emotion. Real people have emotion. And we had her secretly tape an audition, and everyone loved it."

We also asked how Gwen was "new" and if she was becoming someone "rude". "No! In no way are we making her someone mean. We are making her someone protective. Someone much more in depth, and someone with more development. Emma Stone's portrayal of Gwen was phenomenal, but because we want someone that is really great at being kind of an asshole and a sweetheart all in one, we thought Carlson was the perfect choice."

Spiderman: Homecoming is set to premiere in US Theaters July 7, 2017.