Chapter 21

Nick slowly opened his eyes, his vision blurred. Blinking several times, he could see more clearly. Where was he? There was something unfamiliar about all this....And the smell! Boy, the smell of chemicals was enough to blow his brains out. Moving his head with a lot of difficulty, he strained to see the rest of the room. Was he in hospital?
Looking at himself, he noticed the strings and tubes coming out all over his body. The heart rate machine was beeping at a normal pace. He racked his brains, but he couldn't remember a thing.
Suddenly a hippo walked into the room in a white uniform. Nick assumed he was the doctor taking care of him. "I see you've awakened Mr Wilde. How do you feel?" The doctor asked, standing beside the bed. "What happened?" Was all Nick could muster in a whirlwind of confusion. "You were in a fight, Mr Wilde, and suffered an extreme blow to the head. Everything looks okay now, which is good." The doctor explained. "Fight?" Nick said cocking his head in confusion. "Oh, your probably suffering from short term memory loss at the moment, you'll remember everything soon enough." The doctor replied. "And you'll be happy to know the two criminals have been imprisoned. They were the ones you came to find for the ZPD, weren't they?" Nicks eyes widened, even more confused. "Criminals? ZPD? I'm an officer?" Nick spluttered. The hippo put a hand to his mouth, and immediately left the room. Nick lay back down. "Well that was weird," he said to himself. What was that hippo talking about? He must have  gotten mixed up with another patient, a fox being employed as a cop was just impossible. He couldn't wait to get out of the darn place and start his life again.
Nick lay there for quite some time, awaiting the doctors to come back and maybe do some explaining to him. As if answering his call, two doctors burst into the room together, worried expressions on their faces. "Mr Wilde," the hippo says gravely. "We're afraid to say you've suffered from long term memory loss." Nicks heart raced. "You mean there's a large part of my life I can't remember?" He cried. "We're afraid so," the other doctor said. "Tell us, what can you remember from your past, if anything?" Nick thought. He could remember the Popsicle selling era, but he obviously wasn't going to spill the beans on that. "I can remember my childhood and teenage years very well," he said. "But I can't recall being a cop, or fighting anyone or anything." The doctors wrote in a notebook and nodded. "I see," the hippo said. "Is there any way I can restore my memory doc?" Nick asked frantically. The doctor sighed. "I'm afraid we haven't got a cure that will help instantly," he began. "But we have someone who I think can help." The two doctors left the room, but in leapt a bunny, in a police uniform. Who was she?
"Nick!" She cried, running over to Nick and hugging him tight. Nick pushed her off gently. "Who are you?" He blurted. Judy's eyes immediately lost their excited spark. "Nick.... It's me.. Judy!" She said quietly. Nicks expression was blank. "I-I don't remember you... I'm sorry..." He said sadly. The bunny wept softly. "Nick, I'm Judy Hopps! I'm your partner. We are police officers Nick, we work for the ZPD!" She cried helplessly, trying to revive Nicks memory. He shook his head, staring into her amethyst eyes. Boy, they were pretty eyes. Wait, what?
The bunny wiped her eyes. "I'm sorry," Nick said. "I just... I don't remember you... Judy." The bunny looked at him. "Nick, I was your girlfriend. We kissed and..." Judy was cut off my Nicks shocked gasp. "Wait, what?!? That's impossible! A bunny and a fox... That's wrong." He said in shock. "The old Nick sure didn't think so," Judy sighed. "We were in love, and you got a phone call from another girl... And I got mad at you and ran off... And these criminals tried to kill me and you came and they beat you up." Nick looked at her, dumbfounded. "That's the craziest thing I think I've ever heard," he laughed. Judy's eyes brimmed with tears, and she let one silently fall down her cheeks. "Hey... Don't cry. I didn't mean to..." Nick said, suddenly feeling bad for the bunny. Judy sat down on a chair, her ears drooping. "Nick, you can't remember me at all?" Judy asked, with a hint of hope in her voice. Nick stared at the bunny, nearly crying himself. He was in an interspecial relationship? With this bunny? Predator and prey, together, in love, he couldn't understand it. He couldn't believe it at all. Looking down, he saw that he was in his police uniform. He fumbled with the shiny badge, removing it and taking a good look at it. Looking back at Judy, he sighed. "I'm sorry. But my memory of you... My career.... It's.... It's gone. Doc said you were supposed to help me remember." Nick said. Judy's ears perked up slightly. "Help you..." She began. "That's it!!" She leapt off the chair excitedly, startling Nick. "I'll help you remember! I will I will I will!" All Nick could do was smirk. "And how do you intend to do that?" He asked. "Retrace your steps! I'll explain every single itty bitty thing that has ever happened and you'll then suddenly remember!" Judy said, like an overexcited child in a candy store. "Judy... I dunno about this, shouldn't we ask the doctor what to do?" He asked uncertainly. "Yes! We'll ask the doctor on what to do, and I'll do it!" Judy exclaimed. Nick rolled his eyes. "Okay, I guess you win, Carrots...."