Chapter 26

For what seemed like hours, Nick finally emerged from Bogo's office. Judy smiled weakly at him, but he walked past her, as if she wasn't there. Judy's face fell. Bogo knew. He stormed down the corridor, getting faster and faster. "Nick wait!" Judy called. The sound of her voice, so despairing and weak hurt him even more, but he had to get away. Everything was ruined. People knew about the kiss, and now he had lost his position as Judy's partner, the best thing that had ever happened to him. He tried to control the tears that were streaming down his face like a waterfall as he left the ZPD. Judy was still following him, and eventually caught up with him outside. "Nick!! Wait!!" Judy panted, joining him on the sidewalk. Grabbing his shoulder he tried to stop him, but he violently shook her off, sending her crashing to the ground. "Owww," she whimpered, rubbing her head. She tried to get up again, she knew Nick didn't mean to hurt her. Her vision was slightly blurred, she had hit her head quite hard against the cold concrete ground. She looked up. Nick was gone.
"Judy! Are you okay?" Melanie, the hippo police officer said, helping Judy up. "Yeah yeah, I'm okay thanks," Judy muttered, brushing herself down. "Where's Nick?" Melanie looked around. "I don't know, but did you see how he shoved you to the ground?" She said frantically. "He didn't mean to. He's really upset, I need to get to him!" Judy said trying to wriggle away. "I'll catch you later Melanie!" "Judy, wait!" Melanie called after her. Judy turned around. "There's a party later on tonight, Chris is hosting! You coming?" Melanie asked. Judy thought. She had spoken to Chris, the lion a few times, maybe it would be fun. But she didn't know if she was mentally or physically up to it right now. "I'll think about it Melanie." Judy said. "Okay!" Melanie cheered. "Text me if your coming, I'll pick you up!" Judy smiled. "Okay thanks!" No way would she be going to that stupid party. There was only one thing Judy cared about right now, and that was Nick.
Judy scampered off like the wind, on the quest to find the fox. And she knew where he would be. The bridge! It was the place he always reverted back to, it was his home after all.
Nick kept walking until he didn't even know where he was. He looked around, it didn't look familiar at all. His eyes stung with the amount of crying he had done, but he had no more tears to spill.
He knew Judy would be looking everywhere for him. Judy. How could he do this to her? The one person he loved more than anything in the world. She would be devastated when she found out about all this. Thoughts shot across his mind that scared him. Should he break up with Judy? It felt like it would be the right  thing to do, for this relationship had only reeked havoc on both their lives. But then again, being having Judy as a girlfriend had made him happier than he had ever been in his entire life. Holding her small body in his arms at night was his dream ever since he laid eyes on her. It was too hard. The decision that had to be made was simply unknown.
Nick found a bench and sat down, breathing deeply. He thought of Judy, helplessly looking for him, distraught. Everything had went so horribly wrong. His head hurt so badly, his thoughts whirled in his brain like an uncontrollable blizzard. He couldn't work alone. Who would wake him up when he fell asleep during work? Who would remind him that's it's a Monday morning and not a Saturday? He prayed that losing Judy as a partner wouldn't mean losing her as a mate, or worse, a friend.
Judy made it to the bridge, but to her dismay, Nick was not there at all. Resting her paws on her knees she attempted to catch her breath. "NICK!!" She called out, tears spilling down her furry cheeks. She slumped on the ground helplessly, and wept. She couldn't take this any longer. Why couldn't people leave her and Nick alone! What was the big problem! If only she had stayed in Bunny Burrow, as a carrot farmer. She could have been happier. She would never have met Nick, and her heart wouldn't have been broken, over and over again.
Fumbling in her pocket, she tried to find her phone, and pulled it out as soon as she found it. Pressing Nick on her contact list, she rang him. "Pick up Nick, please," she thought desperately to herself. Little did she know, Nicks phone was dead. "The person you are calling is unable to take your call," the annoying montone droned. Judy angrily shoved her phone back in her pocket, beginning to cry again. Rabbits were notorious for their emotional phases, but Judy was being exceptionally emotional today. She staggered to the bridge despite Nick's absence, and sat in the box that seemed to be his bed. Taking the ragged blanket that lay on the dirty ground, she wrapped herself in it to keep warm from the harsh winter wind. She would wait for him. No matter what.
Nick was sitting on that bench for as long as his thoughts would allow him, but when the cold icy wind of the night hit, he decided to make his way back home. He couldn't face Judy tonight, he would go to the bridge. "Why," he thought to himself as he walked back home. "Why me?"
The streets were eerily silent, the odd noise made Nick jump. There was no one about, he had never seen Zootopia so empty, so quiet. The silence however was rather calming, and it assisted Nick in clearing his head.
About half an hour later, Nick finally made it back to the bridge, sighing as he realised the cold night he'd have to endear in. As he got closer to the bridge, he could almost make out a figure in his box bed, but he knew it was just his mind playing tricks on him. No one ever came down there, and no one ever would. But the figure seemed more realistic as he got closer. Nick strained his eyes to try and get a glimpse of who or what it was, but it was way too dark. He walked fast until he reached under the bridge, there was definitely someone there. It became clear soon enough.
"Judy?"