Chapter 25

The journey home was a quiet one. Both Judy and Nick seemed happy on the outside, but on the inside, both were worried for their arrival back in Zootopia. Society hated inter-special relationships, it was so obvious now. Judy should have known. She pondered upon why she had even fallen in love with Nick in the first place, she was a bunny, he was a fox. How did she manage to become attracted to him, they were just friends!
On the other hand, Nick was worried too. But not for his own sake. He was worried about Judy. He was the one who agreed to date Judy. If she got hurt for all this he would never forgive himself. But he would protect her. He wouldn't let anyone hurt her. She was his, no one else's.
"We will be arriving in Zootopia in approximately 10 minutes. Please ensure seat belts are fastened for the landing. Thank you." Both Nick and Judy's hearts sank simultaneously. They glanced at each other, worry gleaming in their eyes. Nick could see the panic in Judy's expression. Placing a reassuring paw on hers, he tried to calm her. "It'll be okay. Besides, we can just deny the kiss, if anyone saw." Nick said, but he was terrified. Judy gulped and nodded.
When the time to depart the plane arrived, Nick took the suitcases and followed Judy off it. They walked side by side, trying to look as confident as possible. Hopefully Zootopia had forgotten about the certain incident the other day. The pair caught a taxi back to the ZPD. Nothing weird so far.
As they walked into the ZPD, they looked at each other. "It'll be okay Carrots," Nick said placing a paw on her tiny shoulder. Judy smiled and gazed up at him. She was glad Nick was her partner, in her career and her love life.
"Hi Clawhauser," Judy waved cheerfully to the cheetah at the desk. "Well hello Judy! Hello Nick! How was Silver City?" Clawhauser asked them. The pair looked at each other. "Eventful," Nick said simply. "We gotta go report to Chief Bogo now, so see ya later!" The cheetah waved with one paw, a donut in the other.
As they walked to Bogo's office, Judy took a deep breath. "I hope he hasn't found out," she whispered. "It'll be okay Judy, don't worry. And if he has and we get kicked out of the police force, we still have each other, right?" Nick said, trying to keep her spirits up. "Yeah, I guess your right," she said half heartedly. "Let's get this over with."
They were just about to open the door when it was opens for them, by Chief Bogo. He did not look happy. And when he's not happy, that's when things can get very scary. "Wilde! A word," he said sternly, almost growling. Judy stood back, shaking in fear. This could not be good. Judy began to feel light headed, she knew what this was about. Sitting on the bench behind her, she tried to control her breathing, but an immense wave of panic washes over her. Her paws were clammy, why did Nick have to kiss her, right there, right then? All of this wouldn't have happened. But then again, it was partly, in fact, all her fault. If she hadn't developed feelings for him, and then proceeded to tell him those feelings, he wouldn't have told her his. But then she wouldn't have been as happy as she was now having Nick has her boyfriend. It was all too confusing. Judy tried to push all her negative thoughts to the back of her mind, it wasn't doing her a spot of good.
Nick took one last glance at Judy as the door shut behind him. This was it. He was dead meat. His heart pounded as he followed Bogo to his desk. "Take a seat," Bogo ordered, now unsure whether his voice portrayed his anger or it was just his natural gruff nature. Nick sat down obediently, swallowing the large lump that had risen in his throat.
"Nick, what do you THINK you were doing?" Bogo yelled, shoving a picture in his face. Nick studied it for a second before he knew what it was. Oh no. It was crystal clear. Nick, kissing Judy. He was in deep trouble, he just knew it. "Sir, its n-not how it l-looks!" He stammered. This made Bogo even angrier. "Don't try to pull the wool over my eyes Wilde. I should have know employing a fox for an officer was a bad idea." He growled. Those words stabbed like a knife to Nick's heart. It was happening all over again. When he thought people finally had faith in him, it always comes back, like a continuous cycle. "Look, I wasn't thinking straight, I just.." Nick trailed off. He had no excuses. It happened, and that was it. "What's the problem anyway, Bogo? Inter-special relationships aren't even illegal here in Zootopia!" Bogo looked him dead in the eye. "What's the problem? Being in this kind of a relationship with Judy just isn't right Wilde. You are no longer partners. From now on, you work alone." He said, without a hint of care in his voice. "Dismissed."
Nick was in shock. He slowly rose from his chair, trying to take it all in. He and Judy were no longer partners? What on earth what Judy say? She'd be so upset, he just knew it. His eyes sting with tears, and he struggled to keep them in. He couldn't let people see they got to him, especially not Chief Bogo. But now the one person he could tell anything to, the one he loved so much, was practically being stolen away from him, bit by bit.
"Oh and Wilde!" Bogo called just as Nick was about to leave the room. "Yes sir?" He muttered. "Don't let me ever hear of any of this kind of behaviour again," Bogo said sternly. Nick nodded. This had all gone wrong. Losing Judy as his partner felt like a part of him was missing. He couldn't bear to tell her. But he was going to. He had to. He needed to.