Chapter 4

Winterfrost had reached the edge of the border. It was quiet and unusually dark. She looked up as a droplet of rain spattered on her nose. Starclan must not agree with Cloudclan and Darkclan either. She thought, shaking her fur out as more rain began to fall until it seemed as if every drop of rain that fell touched her silky fur.

"Starclan is with you," Winterfrost recognized the rough but warm voice of Yellowfang.

"Thank you." Winterfrost murmured as she stepped across the border, holding her breath. Suddenly she flinched as a bird fluttered out of a nearby tree. She looked as if every warrior in the forest was just waiting for her to make a wrong move and attack her for it. Regaining strength, Winterfrost padded onward. She would have to get there quickly, or she wouldn't have much luck in getting back into Rainclan.

When she thought she was close enough, Winterfrost gave a massive leap at the nearest tree and scrambled up to the highest branch that could support her weight, then she began to jump from tree to tree towards the Cloudclan camp. As she did, she thought she could see the faint outline of Yellowfang alongside her, matching her pace paw for paw.

Winterfrost nodded and continued. Then, she skidded to a halt she had arrived. She craned her neck as she looked straight down into the Cloudclan camp. None of the kits stirred. Warriors seemed dull and shaggy furred as if they haden't shared tongues in moons. Elders lay in the shadows, hollow eyed and very skinny. Oh Starclan, did these cats starve their elders now? Winterfrost thought and held back a yowl of defiance.

Suddenly she heard some voices coming from what looked like the leaders den.

"Are you sure, Shadowstar? Need I remind you that you're on your last life," a cat with a rasping voice meowed.

"We have no other choice. You have been my friend since you saved me from a Darkclan patrol- I owe my life to you. But right now my clan is starving. We can't ignore it any longer. We can't just lay still and wait for the prey to return to the river. Needless to say that the other prey is small. Our only hope is to join up with Darkclan until we can feed the clan. Until then, we must join up or risk starvation." Shadowstar's voice was dull as if he haden't spoken for some time. Winterfrost remembered at some gatherings when the leader's voice was strong and confident. Not even the slightest hint of pride lay in his dark voice.

Winterfrost could help but feel a pang of sorrow for the dull cats. Even though one had killed her sister, for the slightest moment she felt sorry for the once strong Cloudclan cats. They had no choice but to join up with Darkclan, or die trying to fight against them. With a jolt, Winterfrost realized that Cloudclan was being torn in two. While some cats lay barely breathing, others stayed away from them and only talked among themselves in quiet whispers.

With a quick realization, Winterfrost knew that the strong cats only helped eachother now, leaving the weak ones to fend for themselves. Winterfrost suddenly felt sick, but knew she couldn't give up now that she was this far. She knew that waiting would take a long time, but it was her only chance. With a sigh, she crouched down on the branch she was on and waited patiently and quietly.

It seemed like forever until Shadowstar finally dipped his head to the cat, a gray tabby tom who was gaurding the camp, and padded quickly outside of it. Winterfrost leaped upward, almost falling from her branch with excitement. Now was her chance. She followed Shadowstar all the way to the border. He had stopped and was looking across it into the Darkclan territory. Making sure to make some noise to show she wasn't a threat or wasn't trying to hide or spy, Winterfrost slunk down from the tree behind him.

Shadowstar quickly whipped around. All the dullness was gone from his eyes and now was replaced by a mix of fear and anger.

"What are you doing so deep into Cloudclan territory?" he demanded. Winterfrost knew he was struggling to keep his voice strong, dispite the fact that he was mad.

"I need to talk to you." Winterfrost mewed, dipping her head in respect. Shadowstar didn't move for a moment, then sat down, wrapping his tail around his paws.

"Carry on, but don't make too much noise. I don't want the whole clan coming over here and acting towards you as if you had just stolen prey." He replied, not even bothering to keep his voice strong anymore. With a deep breath, Winterfrost told him about how Rainclan and Sunclan had joined up against Darkclan and how  Sunclan was thinking about joining Darkclan's side if things didn't start to brighten up.

"So I was thinking maybe if Cloudclan joined up with Sunclan and Rainclan to fight against the attacks that Darkclan tries to lay onto us, then we would all stand a better chance. Darkclan is the biggest clan in the forest, and I'm not going to hide it. All of the other clans are suffering from Darkclan's actions." Winterfrost explained calmly, trying to keep her voice steady. Shadowstar look at her with his peircing eyes that seemed to see right through her, then finally responded.

"I will think about what you have said. You are a brave cat to come here into enemy territory without at least your medicine cat with you. I do not agree with Darkclan, but if we join you, it might bring my clan back together. Right now, I agree. But I will have to talk about it with my deputy. Now, go on home." Shadowstar replied. Winterfrost looked at her paws for a moment.

"I don't have a clan anymore... could I join your clan; at least until I can get back into my own?" Winterfrost asked carefully. Shadowstar studied her for a moment before nodding. "I will announce your arrival, but if you plan to go back to your old clan, I cannot make you a full member unless I know for sure that you will stay here." Shadowstar answered, then flicked his tail for her to follow him. Winterfrost was about to mention the fact that she knew the way to camp, but at the last moment she remembered that it would only bring up problems and she would be asked as to how she knew. So she followed him as if she had never been in their territory before.

Gazing up at the Stars, Winterfrost murmured, "Starclan help us all." and then disappeared after Shadowstar.