Chapter 5

Sorry for the lack of chapters here! Still trying to get better grades in school... don't worry though! I'm not planning to give up on this book anytime soon. If we are lucky I might actually end up making a third book. If not a forth. Not now though. In my stories I require at least 25 chapters if not more before moving to another book. Sorry this will be a bit short. I'm typing this on my HP touch pad because I can't use my computer at the moment. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Winterfrost padded warily behind Shadowstar. She was afraid that she wouldn't be welcome in Cloudclan. The cats there would not welcome her as warmly as Fireclaw would on a normal day. Shadowstar padded up to the entrance, flicked his tail, and vanished beneath it in a quick, unsteady leap. Winterfrost held her breath and followed him into the camp. As she entered, at first, none of the cats seemed to notice her. She looked at her fur and realized it was caked with dust and dirt, so she hardly recodnized herself. But then, a few cats tasted the air and jolted to their paws. Other cats noticed and kept to their feet until the whole clan's gaze was locked on the dusty cat following Shadowstar. Shadowstar lept tiredly on top of his den. All the cats had already gathered in the clearing, so he had no need to adress them.

"As you see, I have brought this rogue to our camp." Winterfrost winced as he called her a rogue, but stood calmly.

"Yea! Why have you brought her here? We already have enough mouths to feed without a rogue cat barging in to feast on our little fresh-kill!" A dull gray tom meowed loudly, though Winterfrost saw that he was struggling to keep his voice strong, and again she felt a pang of sorrow for these cats. Though they where clinging on to life, Winterfrost could tell they would stand along-side their leader and fight by his side until their last breath.

"I am no threat- I also think I can help you..." Winterfrost meowed carefully, her voice trailing off. Winterfrost felt a fly land on her pelt, and she shook out her fur to shake it away.

"How can we trust a cat that can't even keep her own fur clean?" A pale dusty tabby tom with oversized paws stood up to stand beside the tom who had first spoken. Now other cats began to murmur agreement. Some cats fur bristled and some arched their backs. Some bared their teeth in a snarl, obviously ready to attack. All the cats looked from Shadowstar to Winterfrost, as if waiting for the sign to attack, but Shadowstar gave none.

"Graypelt, I understand your concern. Our fresh-kill is pitifully low, and now with one more mouth to feed, it will be harder." Shadowstar started.

"I promise that I will hunt for Cloudclan. I owe Shadowstar a favor for letting me stay here, at least until I can return to my territory." She almost said clan. That would lead to another arguement if these cats knew she was from a different clan.

"That is fair. And Largefoot, I think that your pelt wouldn't be so clean either if you had been among many territories, probably chased out by a few. I sense that not even you would have the time to wash up." Shadowstar's gaze rested on the tabby tom who had spoken after Graypelt. Now, instead of anger, the cats in the camp started to be filled with curiosity instead.

"Would you like to introduce yourself to the clan?" Shadowstar asked Winterfrost. Winterfrost didn't know what to say. If she said her name was Winterfrost, every cat would know she came from a clan. If she didn't, it would risk them finding out and never trusting her. Shadowstar seemed to understand by the look Winterfrost gave him, and nodded slightly. Winterfrost  padded up to stand beneath the den. She stood beneath it and turned around so she faced the clan that she was about to live with for a few moons. With a deep, breath, Winterfrost announced,

"My name is Winter, and I was driven from my home."