Chapter 1

The forest was quiet. Nothing seemed to move. The smallest glimse of rabbit's fur was peaking from the bushes. Then, something darted out of the undergrowth and into the bush. The cat came back a moment later with a fresh-killed rabbit. Winterfrost sat down hungrilly and thanked Starclan for the rabbit's life, and then began to eat neatly.

Suddenly, she perked her ears. She was still in Rainclan territory. She had never left. Only chased out of the territory by one patrol, but she came back. It had been two moons since she got exiled. She had been at the two gatherings anyways, watching silently from the trees and letting her pelt blend in with the leaves. She leaped to her paws quickly and darted up the nearest tree with the rabbit hanging firmly in her jaws. She had disappeared up the tree just in time as a Rainclan patrol stepped out silently. Winterfrost knew all of the cats. Redclaw, Crowsong, Amberpelt, and Weedbite at the head of the patrol.

"There's that scent again!" Weedbite grunted, dipping his huge head down and sniffing the exact area Winterfrost had been. Winterfrost's jaws started to get heavy and tired with the rabbit between them. Winterfrost heaved it up onto a higher branch with effort and leaned down to watch the patrol.

"It's a rogue," Redclaw pointed out. It was obvious that if Weedbite died, Redclaw would become the new deputy.

"Do you think Winterfrost found rogues to send an attack on us to get revenge?" Crowsong shivered, eyes wide.

"Come on, if she was still in our territory, we'd have found her by now. She's as clumbsy as a lopsided badger in complete darkness!" Ambersong pointed out. Winterfrost bit back a stinging retort, knowing if she talked, the cats would see her. She was glad that they thought she wasn't in their territory, though. They wouldn't think it was her. But she thought to quickly.

"Hey! That rogues sent is coming from that tree!" Redclaw meowed quickly, fully alert. Winterfrost was so surprised, she almost stumbled to the ground then and there.

"Good scented, Redclaw! Come on, patrol! Follow that rogue!" Weedbite flung himself at the tree, gripping it with powerful claws. He may be an older warrior, but he was still strong. Winterfrost was panicking. Knowing that if she left prey, they would find her quicker, she grabbed the rabbit and launched herself into the next tree and the next.

"Coward! Get back here and face us before we make you!" Redclaw yowled, following Winterfrost the same way. Winterfrost knew that she couldn't tree jump anymore. She slid from the tree and continued running on the ground, despite how dangerous it was that she could run into another patrol.

"Come back here you fox-faced mouse-brained annoying fly!" Redclaw spat insults at her as he tried to slide down the tree as she did, but he left about half his pelt behind. Winterfrost's muscles screamed in protest but Winterfrost ignored it and kept running. If she ran any faster she could be flying.

Suddenly, she felt the world roll over as large paws gripped her shoulders and rolled her off of her neat, swift running. She felt herself be slammed to the ground. She looked up to see Weedbite staring down at her with triumph. The rest of the patrol caught up with him quickly.

"I don't recognize this rogue, he's all covered in mud!" Redclaw spat, shaking out his fur. Winterfrost was thankful the mud was there, but she wasn't thankful enough.

"That's not a he! That's a she! And that she is Winterfrost!" Amberpelt growled. Redclaw quickly scraped some of the mud from her pelt. Winterfrost hissed in protest but Weedbite turned her over on her belly and held her down by the shoulders.

"Winterfrost! Why are you here? Or have you forgotten that you have been exiled?" Weedbite growled. Winterfrost remembered often coming out of the warriors den and greeting him as she would leave the camp. Now, his eyes had none of that happiness in them and instead, cold hate filled them.

"I can go where ever I want!" Winterfrost retorted.

"We are allowed to kill you, you know. Do you dare to defy us right now? Let me point out that you are outnumbered by many." Crowsong pointed out bitterly. Redclaw meowed agreement. Weedbite dipped his head to Redclaw, and Redclaw shot forward like a snake and ran a long claw from her neck down to her belly. Winterfrost gave a yowl of protest but the other cats pelted forward and started clawing at her, ripping tufts of fur from her, opening old wounds, clawing her on the shoulders and haunches and muzzle.

Winterfrost was about to unleash becoming bigger than them when another yowl sounded and a familiar orange pelt exploded through the bushes. Fireclaw! He slammed Weedbite off of Winterfrost and helped her to her paws. Winterfrost would barely stand but Fireclaw was helping her and half-dragged her away from the other cats as quick as he could. He took her across the border and away from the patrol, who was spitting in anger. But the two cats had vanished across the border. Winterfrost looked up at him, barely consious.

"Winterfrost, why would they be attacking you? You are in there clan!" Fireclaw asked urgently while looking for cobwebs to wrap her wounds in.

"Two moons ago... Featherwisp died.... attacked Rainheart.... Rainheart's fault my sister is gone.... leader tried to stop me..... I fought leader....... was exiled....." Winterfrost tried to explain but her breath was coming in gasps now. Fireclaw sat straight up.

"You got exiled!?" Fireclaw gasped.

"Come on... I'll take you back to my clan. They can't question a cat in need. You could join if you want." Fireclaw let Winterfrost lean on his shoulder.

"That... that would be great." Winterfrost managed to say. The two cats walked together towards the camp. Winterfrost's mind was spinning and she had to force herself to stay awake. How could Starclan allow this if she was the cat chosen to protect her clan? Had they changed  their minds after all?

____________________________________________________________________________

Well that was a corny chapter. Sorry! Spoiler, Winterfrost isn't going to die. Probably already knew this. XD What point would there be in this book if she died at the beginning?