Chapter 11

"Here, I'll help you with that." Winterfrost mewed to Acornfoot. The tired medicine cat was in deep need of help. His tired eyes rested on her thankfully as he dropped some cobwebs and poppy seeds at her feet.

"Thank you, Winterfrost." he meowed, closing his eyes thankfully. Wait, did he just say my real name? She was about to ask him about it but he had already started walking away to get more herbs. Winterfrost already knew what poppy seeds and cobwebs did. It was the easiest herb to remember. Winterfrost was many injured warriors, but they where trying to calm down the queens and kits and elders, who seemed horrified.

"Moonshade, I'll help." Winterfrost leaped to the old elder's side. She had fought too, despite that her body was failing her. Her eyes where filled with excitement though, as if they held the entire of Starclan in them to guide her. Winterfrost sniffed the elder, and surprisingly, Moonshade didn't complain. Winterfrost found a nasty scratch on her shoulder. She groomed it clean and lightly pressed some cobwebs on it to help it heal. She then gave Moonshade one poppy seed. Winterfrost was so worried about the elder. She shouldn't have fought. Winterfrost thought, still looking the black cat over. Her brittle bones are no longer meant for such ferocious battling. Winterfrost had been so distracted by caring for the elders that she didn't notice a cat creep out from the direction of the camp. Moonshade gave a warning yowl, startling her.

"What do you want?" Shadowstar spat at the cat. Winterfrost craned her neck to get a better look. It was a small spotted brown tom with brilliant yellow eyes.

"I feel this is wrong..." the tom began.

"Of course it's wrong!" A cat somewhere in the crowd yowled out loud. Other cats gave murmurs of agreement.

"Yes, of course." The tom dipped his head.

"So, what do you want?" Shadowstar repeated, gazing at the tom with an unknown expression.

"Well..." the tom looked nervously at his paws.

"I am from Darkclan. But I don't want battl-" he was cut off as a screech sounded from somewhere in the crowd of cats. Jayflight, a cat that Winterfrost didn't often see, was pelting towards the Darkclan cat. He slammed into the smaller cat. The tom gave a yowl of fear as Jayflight pinned him down.

"You fox-hearted-mouse-brained-crow-food-badger-dung-worthless-" Jayflight was cut off as Shadowstar hissed.

"Let go of him." He ordered. Jayflight hesitated, then, fur bristling, he let the other cat up. Jayflight stalked away to sit with the crowd again.

"Sorry about that," Shadowstar began.

"It's quite alright. I would have done the same. I disagree strongly with what Darkclan is doing." The tom reasoned.

"Why do you call them Darkclan? They have made their choice on their new clan name." Shadowstar meowed curiously, tilting his head.

"I hate that name, Thistleclan!" The tom spat, fur bristling.

"Darkclan's new clan name was made in honor of an evil cat named Thistletalon! He was Thornstar's brother." The tom explained.

"What happened?" some cats murmured.

"You don't know?" the tom asked, clearly surprised.

"Yes, tell us. Why would Thornstar rename his clan off of Thistletalon?" Shadowstar asked, dipping his head.

"My name is Eaglesea. I am- I mean was, Thistletalon's apprentice. You are talking to a cat with more knowledge than any cat about Thistletalon's ambitions." The cat's voice darkened.

"I was 1 moon old when Thistletalon was 5 moons old. He was feirce from the beginning. He liked to play like normal kits, but he had to win or he would have a fight with the kit who did win, aruing that the other kit wasn't playing fair." Eaglesea began.

"How did you remember that from 1 moon old?" Jayflight challanged, fur still bristling. Eaglesea whipped his head around to glare at the tom.

"How could I forget the cat who gave me this?" He revealed a long scar on his hind leg. Some cats gasped, others wailed lightly.

"Anyways, when he was made an apprentice, he was given a mentor who was caring and liked peace among the clans to try to calm down his anger,  but it didn't help. His mentor, Doveheart, was the most caring cat in the clan. But, Thistletalon was so angry. He often called her names, mouseheart or noclaw, to support that she hated battle." Eaglesea continued, eyes growing dark.

"Later, Thistletalon killed Doveheart. I saw it myself when I followed him out of the camp after I got bored. The last words he said to her where "You weak old fool. The clans won't survive with cats like you trying to ruin them. Take my word to Starclan for me. Darkclan will rule!" and he killed her." Eaglesea's eyes where wide as if he where seeing the whole scene all over again.

"He was then given a mentor that satisfied him, Fastswipe. But Fastswipe had the same idea he did, to become leader and rule the clans. Shortly after Thistletalon received his warrior name, he killed Fastswipe, saying that there could only be one to rule all the clans. Fastswipe replied that he was proud of Thistletalon. He said he would watch over him with plesure, and greet him when he joined Starclan later." Eaglesea closed his eyes tightly, then opened them as if remembering something important.

"Thornstar, at the time Thornbite, had watched his brother with interest, He started hanging around Thistletalon more and more, getting advice from him and in return, teaching him battle moves. They too had the same idea of ruling the clans, but Thistletalon had made an acception that when he became leader, Thornbite would be right up there with him." Eaglesea coninued, ignoring the wails of protest. Winterfrost didn't know what to think of this. How could a cat live such a life? She thought, closing her eyes but listening to the rest that Eaglesea had to say.

"But in battle against Cloudclan, Thistletalon met a beautiful she-cat who I will not say the name of, and they became mates. But the cat was exiled from Cloudclan for hiding the secret for so long. But the trouble was, she had kits. She brought them to Thistletalon's clan for him to care for, but died a moon later of green-cough, along with one of her four kits." Eaglesea looked at his paws as if remembering another thing. What was this cat hiding?

"But Thistletalon also died five seasons later, in a battle against Sunclan and Rainclan. Thornbite was devistated by the news, and vowed he would carry on in his brother's pawsteps. And that Thistletalon would be remembered, even if he had to change the name of Darkclan." Eaglesea finished. None of the cats said a word. They sat there in awe. Even Jayflight was sitting in a stunned silence.

"Why are you telling us this, young cat?" Shadowstar finally said, breaking the silence.

"Because, I want to join your clan. Darkclan is not the clan that it was once. I am no longer loyal to it. I have come to warn you though, tomorrow if you haven't left the territory, Thornstar has a plan to protect the entire border and kill every Cloudclan cat he sees. Letting none escape."