Chapter 9

"What?!" Blackshade's screech sounded from somewhere in the group. Winterfrost saw her racing towards Whitekit at a high rate of speed.

"I want to be a medicine cat." Whitekit said a bit more feircly.

"You where born to be a warrior. You have only warrior blood in you. None of your family members have been a medicine cat, are you really going to change that?" Shadowstar was not in on the arguement.

"Acornfoot clearly needs an apprentice! Until him, I wanted to be a warrior. But then I realized how much being a medicine cat meant and how important it is. It drew me towards it and that's where I need to be. It's my destiny!" Whitekit puffed out his chest.

"No. Your destiny is to be a warrior!" Shadowstar hissed, leaping down from on top of his den to come face to face with his son.

"You have seen how clumbsy I am with attack moves! You tried to help me, but warriors in battle can't just be helped all the time by their parents!" Whitekit replied. Winterfrost was surprised at how calm the kit was being. He was arguing with not only his father, but the clan leader.

"You are going to be a warrior!" Blackshade finished.

"You have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your wariror name, you will be known as Whitepaw. Your mentor will be Blackshade. I know Blackshade will pass down all she knows to you." Shadowstar meowed, ignoring Whitepaw's protests. Shadowstar was about to end the meeting when Whitepaw spoke up again so everyone heard him.

"You may call me a WARRIOR apprentice, but I refuse to train as one! You can't choose my destiny. I choose my destiny! YOU already got to choose yours, oh mighty clan leader! I will not let you choose mine! You just keep looking at me. Keep an eye on me. Because every chance I get, I will look for herbs and figure out just exactly what they do! And when I receive my WARRIOR name, I refuse to go on patrols, hunt, or any warrior duties! I will be a medicine cat. And if you actually have a brain that isn't made of dung, you will understand that!" Whitepaw hissed. He spun around and stalked off towards the entrance.

"Stop him." Shadowstar ordered the clan. But Whitepaw heard. He was smaller than the other cats, but he was swift. He raced from the camp. Winterfrost joined the group of cats chasing after him. She wanted to see what would happen. The cats where slowly gaining on Whitepaw. Come on apprentice, move faster! She willed him, but his size was starting to catch up to him. He was already tired and he looked like his muscles where screaming at him to stop, but he kept going. Oh Starclan! This apprentice was recently wounded! Let him be alright! Whitepaw suddenly tripped over his paws. He rolled over and over again, catching everything his fur touched. Winterfrost suddenly felt a burst of energy.

"We're coming!" She yowled and pulled ahead of the rest of the cats. She raced as fast as her legs would carry her and dived in front of Whitepaw. The apprentice tumbled over to her and coughed. Winterfrost saw his eyes grow tired and he fainted. The poisen! He must have spread it while running! This is his parents fault. They should have let him become the medicine apprentice. She picked him up on her back and ran towards the camp. The other cats had to skid to a halt to try to chase after her. As soon as she got to the camp she darted in the medicine den and layed him on a nest.

"It's Whitepaw.." she was still trying to catch her breath. She tried her best to explain what happened to Whitepaw, but she managed.

"I'll get to him right away." Acornfoot meowed.

"Leave the den and tell Shadowstar what happened." He finished, turning his head to the apprentice he had worked so hard to cure. Winterfrost padded out of the den. Anger filled her but she made herself look calm. This wasn't her real clan, not at heart. It wasn't her buisness. She went into Shadowstar's den. He was sitting nearby, muttering things to himself.

"Umm.... Shadowstar...?" Winterfrost meowed quietly. Shadowstar jumped to his paws as if the whole forest was raiding.

"Yes, what is it, Winterfrost?" He asked, sitting back down. Winterfrost almost had forgotten that he knew her real name.

"Well...." she didn't know how or what to say.

"Whitepaw still had some of the snake's venom in him and, err... it activated when... when he was running from the cats you sent chasing after him...." Winterfrost started. Shadowstar was suddenly alert, then calmed himself.

"Well, if he wakes up it proves he is meant to be a warrior. If he doesn't," Shadowstar's voice grew dark.

"If he doesn't, he was too weak to live among the clan." he finished. Winterfrost couldn't believe her ears. She thought this was the understanding, Proud, Brave, and Strong leader she had looked up to. But the way he looked now, calm at the thought of Whitepaw joining Starclan, she disrespected him the most now.

"If that's the way you feel, that's okay." Winterfrost meowed quietly, then backed out of the den. What had happened? Had he lost all love for his own son just because he wanted to choose a different path?

________________________________________________________________

Once again, drama, action, something like that. I dunno. If you ask me, it's the kind of thing I hate reading when it feels like you read so fast it seems like "cat. Ran. Fell. Herbs. Leader. Calm. Different. Annoying." And it's really bugging me, but every book has a chapter like this. I just didn't expect that it would be this chapter. *Facedesk* X[