Chapter 1

"Catherine, can't you leave the room? I'm bringing my friends over and I don't want them knowing about you." 

Catherine looked up from her book to see her father standing in the doorway, his arms were folded across his chest as always. Words like these used to hurt her, but after 20 years, she's used to it. She sighed as she grabbed her book and quietly walked out of the room. She walked past her mother who gave her a disgusted look, that still hurt. For years, ever since she understood everything, she had wondered why her parents hate her so much. Her mother would repeatedly say that she was a mistake, making Catherine believe they didn't want another child. 

Her older brother was their pride and joy, he was strong, fast, a great warrior, and the future alpha of the pack. Catherine agreed that her brother was made to be an alpha, but so was she. She was born from alpha blood, she was just as fast and strong as her brother. When she was training, she had easily beaten her brother, but she wasn't praised for it. Instead, she was punished for it. Though her parents never hit her, they still mentally abused her. Every single day they wouldn't say anything but cruel words towards her, they tell their friends that she's their maid. She was at least grateful they didn't make her clean every day, she would snap if they did. 

The unmated males in the pack did give her attention though, considering she is also unmated and an alpha female. She never understood why they were attracted to her though, she wasn't beautiful, she knew that. Why else would her parents and brother tell her how ugly she was every day? She used to ignore them, but over time, she had started to believe them. They would tell her that her mate wouldn't want her, that he'll reject her the second he sees her. 

"I don't want a mate anyway." Catherine thought as she walked into her room.

She sighed as she sat on her bed, silently, she looked out the window. She had often wondered what it would be like to be free, to not have any rules to follow or an alpha to respect. Many times she considered being a rogue, but she was hesitant. Pack life is all she knew, from what she has seen, being a rogue isn't fun. You starve, you become feral, difficult to handle. She pursed her lips, but she knew her family wouldn't care if she became one of the rogues. 

She got up and walked into her bathroom, looking into the mirror so she could hate herself more. Her hair was black as the night, her eyes were a dull brown, but they used to be brighter. Her skin wasn't exactly tan, but it wasn't extremely pale either. She looked at her body, she was athletic thin since she worked out almost every day, she didn't have huge boobs but they weren't small either. She sighed, but she still wasn't considered pretty and she knew why, she was simply ugly. There was no beauty in her, it wasn't on the outside and nor was it on the inside. 

She stayed in her room until her mother told her their friends had left, as her mother stood by her door, Catherine walked by her. She tried remembering why her parents and brother hated her so much, but all she could remember is a fire. Their packhouse had burned down many years ago, that was when her parents started hating her. At the age of five. 

As she walked down the stairs, her grip on the rail tightened, she suddenly stopped. Her mother stopped as well, giving her a confused look. She closed her eyes, telling herself that she wasn't doing this anymore. She sprinted back up the stairs and into her room, slamming the door shut. She quickly locked it before grabbing a small bag and shoving clothes into it. 

"What are we doing?" her wolf questioned.

"Last minute decision, we're leaving. I can't do this anymore, Raven, I can't."