Chapter 2

Xavier sat in his desk chair, glaring at the papers scattered across his desk. He didn't bother to look up when his beta stepped in, closing the door behind him.

"Your cousin brought a friend onto my territory." Xavier growled, slowly looking up. "Care to explain?"

His beta bit his lip, "I didn't know, Alpha."

"Maybe I should go and make sure she knows the rules."

"No, I'll talk to her. I can assure you though, Zinnia isn't someone you need to worry about."

"I'm not worried about her, I don't like whoever this new person is. From what Jace told me, she is an alpha." Xavier replied, his voice deadly calm.

"I'll go check it out." His beta sighed.

Xavier sighed and leaned back, "Then go."

His beta clenched his jaw in annoyance before leaving the office. Xavier watched the door close, his eyes narrowed.

"We shouldn't trust him." His wolf voiced.

Xavier ignored his wolf, he already knew his beta has been acting different.

"Nothing I can't handle." He mumbled.

He eventually decided to meet the new person himself, he got tired of waiting. He walked briskly through the town, keeping his face void of emotion as his pack members qucikly got out of his way. Once he reached the place Zinnia was at, he stormed inside. He didn't bother to greet the owner of the building, he continued on his misson.

As he stepped out of the elevator, he spotted his Beta and Zinnia arguing down the hall. He stood a few feet from them, sniffing the air. He was addicted to the new scent, it smelled of cinnamon, one of his favorite scents. He snapped his attention to Zinnia's apartment when the door was swung open, revealing a stunning woman.

"Are you two done arguing? You're giving me a headache." The woman sighed.

"My cousin here, refuses to listen to me." Zinnia growled. "We are not taking her to Alpha Xavier, she isn't s threat!"

"And do you think I care if she is or not? Every new wolf is to report to my office, I determine whether or not they stay."

All three froze and slowly turned to face Xavier, he kept his face blank as he looked at them. Zinnia visibly gulped before forcing a smile.

"Oh, hey, Alpha." She laughed nervously.

Xavier glared at her, "What's up."

"Uh...my friend here-

"She can explain herself to me." Xavier snapped, turning his attention back to his she-wolf.

He watched as she stared at him in shock, "You're...no. No. I cannot have-just...no."

He raised an eyebrow as she flipped out, her eyes going wide with fear and surprise. Xavier glanced at his beta and Zinnia.

"I would like to speak to her in private." He said.

Both shoved the woman into the hall as they bolted into the apartment, slamming the door shut behind them. He noticed her glare at the closed door before turning back to him.

"Just get it over with." She sighed.

He frowned, "Get what over with?"

"You're rejecting me, aren't you?" She asked.

"No."

She stood there, bewildernment made itself known on her face. "You...aren't...wait...what?"

He frowned, "Do you want me to or something?"

He hated to admit it, but thought of her not wanting him did hurt. Even though he closed himself off from everyone, he still searched for his mate. Deep down, he just wanted to love someone and have their love in return.

The woman bit her lip, "No...it's just...I don't want a...uh...relationship right now. I'm not saying I'll never want one, but...I've been through a lot in the past twenty-four hours and this is too much."

Xavier nodded, "So...you don't want me to reject you?"

"No! No. I...just need time to...sort through the mess that is my life."

Even though he wanted his mate with him, he nodded. He knew how it felt to have multiple things thrown your way while you're still figuring yourself out. The woman smiled a little when he agreed, making him feel something.

"I would like to know your name though." He said.

The woman laughed nervously, "Right, name is Catherine."

Catherine. He almost smiled, he liked her name. A lot.

"And you're a rogue?" He asked.

Catherine sighed, "I know you hate rogues, but I swear I'm not here to cause trouble. I had to get away from my family. They weren't exactly...loving."

At this, he grinned a little. "I sort of know how that feels."

"You do?"

"My dad isn't the loving type."

A small smile danced upon her lips, "Neither was mine."

Xavier nodded, "I'll give you time to sort yourself out, but Catherine, I'm not a patient person."

With that, he put his cold facade back on and walked away.