Chapter 3

"So...you're going to accept him?" Zinnia asked as her and Catherine walked through town.

"Yes, just, not right now." Catherine sighed. "Is he bi-polar or something? One second he was actually being normal and then the next, he was being...cold again."

Zinnia frowned, "He's not used to opening up to people so fast. Why don't you try spending more time with him? If you really want to get to know him." 

"I could do that...but, I don't really...want to."

"Are you afraid of him?" Zinnia asked quietly.

Catherine pursed her lips, "No, he's not as terrifying as I thought. You weren't kidding when you said he was hot though."

"Glad to know my mate thinks I'm hot." 

Both girls spun around to see Xavier leaning against a shop's window, smoking a cigarette. Catherine folded her arms across her chest as he continued to watch pack members pass by. Zinnia played with her hands before a smirk appeared on her face.

"I just remembered, I was supposed to meet with my cousin today." she piped up.

Catherine's eyes widened as she spun around, "Don't you dare."

"Bye!" 

"Zinnia, you are so dead!" Catherine yelled.

She internally groaned before facing her mate, who looked rather comfortable as he studied the town. She bit her lip, she tried thinking of what to say, but nothing came to mind. She looked at him again, he blew out some smoke, his blue eyes never leaving the town. She frowned as she followed his gaze, standing across the street was an attractive young woman who was arguing with some guy. 

"I don't understand why she's with him." Xavier suddenly spoke. "He treats her like shit while his mate promised to treat her like a queen." 

Catherine looked back at Xavier, she briefly wondered if Xavier would be a good mate. She knew alphas were usually full of themselves, but he hasn't come across like that. She tilted her head a bit, studying her mate as he put his cigarette out. He then sighed and looked up at her, raising an eyebrow. 

"May I help you?" he smirked.

Catherine clenched her jaw, she could feel her cheeks heat up. "No."

"You're blushing." 

"Shut up."

Xavier chuckled, "So, are you enjoying it here so far?" 

"It's quieter than my old pack." she sighed. "Peaceful." 

"What was the name of your old pack?" 

Catherine frowned, "None of your business."

"Well, it is my business, considering I'm the alpha here." 

"Yes, well, I'm not telling you."

He chuckled, "Out of all the women I've come across, you are the most independent one." 

"Well, that's what happens when you're forced to be independent at the age of five." Catherine stated bitterly.

"So...why didn't you want Zinnia to leave you alone with me?"

Catherine frowned when she heard the small hint of hurt in his voice. She released a breath as she looked at him, she caught the glimpse of an emotion in his otherwise, empty eyes. She ran her hand through her hair and started walking.

"You could say...I'm shy." she said quietly.

Xavier fell into step beside her, his hands shoved in his pockets. "I see." 

It was quiet for a while before Xavier spoke again, "You're beautiful, by the way." 

Catherine froze, disbelief instantly shined in her eyes. "Wh-what?"

Xavier smiled softly, "You're beautiful." 

She stood in stunned silence until he chuckled, "I'm assuming you don't get compliments often?"

They started walking again, both of them watching the town. "No." 

"That's truly surprising." Xavier voiced. 

"No offence, you never looked the type to give compliments." Catherine said, raising an eyebrow at him.

Xavier shrugged, "I don't." 

"But you just said I'm beautiful."

"That isn't a compliment, my dear Catherine, it's the truth." Xavier grinned. 

Catherine could feel her blush returning, she quickly looked away, trying to hide it. However, Xavier chuckled softly beside her, much to her dismay. She clasped her hands together, she had no idea how to respond to that. He was flirting with her, that much she knew, which surprised her. From their meeting last night, she thought he would be cold towards her. 

"Well, I have to go and get back to work." Xavier sighed. 

Catherine nodded, "Have fun."

As he started walking away, he turned around and grinned at her. "Oh, and Catherine?"

She looked up, "Yes?"

"I'm not bi-polar." 

She stood completely still as he continued walking away, disappearing into the crowded town. She groaned and stormed back towards the apartment building, mentally cursing Zinnia out. Even though she was annoyed that Zinnia had left her alone, she knew she should be thankful. 

A/N: So...I'm going to warn you, you will see Xavier going back and forth between being talkative to her and then being cold and quiet.