Chapter 5

Catherine yawned as she followed Zinnia around the mall, holding her thousands of bags. For the fifteen years that she could remember, she never went shopping with her mother. She didn't have any friends to go shopping with either, she was shunned by her family and pack. She shoved the dark memories aside as she took a sip of her Starbuck's coffee. Her eyes scanned the names of stores she already shopped at, she noticed a few she wanted to go back into, but Zinnia quickly told her no. 

"I swear, you could shop till you drop." Zinnia chuckled.

Catherine smiled, "I probably could, considering I have nothing else to do."

"Not for long..."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Well, once you move in with Xavier, you're going to be doing what Lunas do." Zinnia explained.

Catherine frowned, "So...follow the alpha around like a lost puppy? That's all my mom really did."

"Hell no, you'll be making decisions with him and he'll probably spoil you. I'm going to warn you, he is going to worry about you constantly. You could stub your toe and he'll be dragging you to the emergency room."

"Don't you think you're exaggerating just a bit?" 

They both spun around to see Xavier walking up to them, eating a chocolate ice cream cone. Catherine frowned, "How come we always end up finding each other?" she asked.

He grinned, but didn't say anything as he continued eating his ice cream cone. Catherine narrowed her eyes, "Are you stalking me?"

"No, I wanted ice cream." He replied.

Catherine stared at him with a straight face, "Great. Well, we'll be on our way."

"With me, of course. I am your mate." he said as he walked beside them.

Zinnia rolled her eyes, "I thought you would be cold towards her."

Xavier frowned, "If she wasn't my mate, I would be. But I don't want to scare her away..."

"Then please explain the other night." Catherine frowned.

"Oh...I panicked and...yeah." he mumbled. "I don't do well with the whole first impression thing."

Catherine chuckled, "I can tell." 

"Hey, where did you get that ice cream?  I want some." Zinnia chirped.

"Down there, you want some too?" he asked Catherine.

The she-wolf smiled and nodded, all three turned around and started heading towards the ice cream store. As they walked through the mall, Catherine decided to quickly lick the chocolate ice cream in Xavier's cone before looking ahead. He stared at her in shock for a few seconds before pouting and making sure he hid kept his ice cream away from her. Catherine ended up laughing, enjoying this side of her mate. 

She studied him a few seconds, smiling at the care free expression he had. She wanted to laugh at the stunned pack members who weren't used to seeing their alpha like this. Once they reached the ice cream place, Xavier immediately told the girls he was paying. Catherine tried refusing, but his stubbornness won. Zinnia watched, amused, as the new mates bickered. 

"Hi, what may I get you?" the young man asked.

Xavier growled lowly as the man's eyes lingered on Catherine for a little while. However, the young man ignored his alpha and continued checking the new girl out. 

"You're new here, aren't you?" he asked.

Catherine noticed Xavier stiffen as the man talked to her, she turned her gaze to the grinning boy. "Yes." 

"So...are you free this week?" 

"You're quick, aren't you?"

The young man chuckled, "Well, I can't help it when I see a hot girl like you."

Catherine smiled sweetly at him, "Sorry, but I'm taken."

"Already? By who?"

"Me." Xavier growled.

The young man frowned, "What is a hot and nice chick like you, doing with a cold hearted guy like him?"

Before Xavier could say anything, Catherine quickly hushed him. She turned her angry gaze to the young man, her and her wolf already feeling protective over their mate. 

"Do you always disrespect your alpha like this? Or, are you just focusing on trying to get me to date you?" she asked calmly. 

The young man shrugged, "It was just a question, I don't see how it's disrespecting my alpha."

"You just called him cold hearted, which is an insult. And insulting your alpha is seen as disrespectful." she explained, her eyes turning a shade darker with annoyance. 

How ignorant is this kid?  She thought to herself.

The young man sighed, "Whatever, it's just the truth. Do you want to go on a date or not?" 

She clenched her jaw, "Like I said, I'm already taken. So, since your small brain can't understand that, no." 

"Of course, the alpha's toy wouldn't want to open her legs for anyone else." the young man growled.

That was all it took before Xavier lunged at him, his hand wrapped around the boy's throat as he yanked him across the counter. The young man's eyes widened with fear as Xavier's eyes turned black. 

"One, she is not my toy, she's my mate. Two, never disrespect her like that again. You can say all you want about me, but if it's something negative about my girl, then you'll find yourself dead. Got it?" he snarled.

Catherine's heart skipped a beat when Xavier said, "my girl". She shyly looked away while Zinnia wiggled her eyebrows at her, earning a playful glare from the female alpha. The young man quickly nodded as Xavier shoved him away, watching as the boy tumbled onto the ground. A young woman ran to the front, frowning when she saw her fuming Alpha and the frightened boy. She glanced at Catherine and Zinnia, silently asking them what happened.

"Your worker acted like an ass to the Alpha and the Alpha put him in his place." Zinnia briefly explained. 

"Oh, in that case....Lance, you're fired." the blonde haired woman stated.

"What? Why?" Lance questioned, standing up.

The woman rolled her eyes, "I will not have my employees disrespecting any customer, especially our alpha. I have warn you about this many times before, this is the final straw. So, please, do me a favor and go home." 

Lance flashed her a glare before storming out of the ice cream parlor, his shoulder connected with Catherine's on his way out. Catherine rolled her eyes before focusing on the young woman. 

"Could we order our ice cream now?" she asked nicely.

The woman smiled, "Yes, of course! Sorry about him, he's a jackass. What would you like?"

Catherine thought over everything as they exited the mall, when Xavier said he had to leave, she frowned. He raised an eyebrow, but smiled before telling her he would see her tomorrow. She could feel herself blush when he kissed her on the forehead before he turned around and walked away. She turned back to Zinnia who, once again, was wiggling her eyebrows. 

"Stop being a perv." she scowled.

Zinnia laughed, "Oh, come on! You two are so cute together!" 

"Shut up."

"Nope, I shall gush about you two until you rip off your ears."

"Or kill you."

"Hey, that is not an option!"

Catherine smirked, "It's always an option."

"Oh, yeah, you two are perfect for each other." the red-head huffed.