Chapter 9

Catherine watched as Xavier clenched his jaw, she saw the flicker of pain in his eyes before they turned cold again. He wiped any emotion off his face and titled his head, narrowing his eyes at the woman he used to call mother. She grabbed his hand and squeeze it before he said something stupid, quickly earning his attention. She gave him a warning look, surprised, he actually listened to her silent threat. 

"I'm fine." he sighed in defeat.

Harper smiled a small smile, "I'm glad."

"Alpha Maddox didn't send you?" Xavier questioned.

"No, I told him I was going to visit you and that he should stay home." 

"Good." he grumbled.

Harper sighed, "Xavier, I know your father-

"Maddox."

"-Maddox hasn't been the best father figure ever, but he regrets it. He wasn't raised with love, you need to remember that. His father raised him to become what he is today so he wouldn't be killed by another alpha. Your grandfather knew that if he could make every pack fear your father, then he would be safe."

"That's not an excuse. He knew what it felt like to look for your father's praise but never receive it. He didn't like it, he told us he hated it, but he did the same thing!" he snarled.

"I know that, but he's trying to change! He has been beside Damon's hospital bed for days on end, begging him to wake up. He will sit there and hold his hand and wipe the hair out of his face. He loves his son, he loves all of his sons. He cried, Xavier. For the hundreds of years I've known him, I never saw him cry. Well, except for when I threatened to leave him." she snapped.

Catherine pursed her lips as Xavier shook with anger, but behind that anger, she saw the deep pain. She bit her lip before quickly placing a finger on his lips. He gave her a confused look before she focused on Harper.

"Can I speak with him, alone? It'll only be a few minutes." she asked.

Harper nodded and left the office, silently closing the door behind her. Catherine sighed and faced her fuming mate, who's glare was set on her now. 

"First, wipe that glare off your face. Second, I understand that your father hasn't been the best, but why blame your mother?" she asked.

He frowned, "She always defends him."

"She loves him."

"So? If he did something wrong, then-

"Like you? You can't tell me you have never killed an innocent rogue just because you hate them." she growled, cutting him off.

"He didn't treat me like his own son, I was a soldier to him. That's it." Xavier mumbled.

"That was how he was raised, he may of hated it, but sometimes history repeats itself. He can't help it, but now he's regretting it. I'm not saying to forgive him right away, but the least you could do is forgive your mother. She shouldn't be taking the blame for your father's doings." Catherine scolded.

"You just met her, you barely know her, why should I listen to you?" he snarled.

She clenched her jaw, "I'm not blind nor am I stupid, Xavier. That woman loves you. She brought you into this world, she raised you. Tell me, did she raise you with nothing but the love of a mother?" 

He was silent for a few seconds, "Yes." 

"Then why should she be punished? She loves your father, he's her mate for crying out loud. You don't see me running away from you, hating you, and calling you a monster because of things you've done. I'm not doing any of that because I can see the good in you. I know you're not a horrible person. You came off as cold the first night I met you, but then the day after you were different. You were carefree and happy. Zinnia was surprised, she said you're usually rude. So, why should your mother's love for your father be any different?"

He frowned as he looked at her, she didn't back down, she continued to challenge him. He growled lowly, highly disliking the challenge. Catherine glared at him and slapped him on the back of the head.

"Don't growl at me, we're both alphas. We're equals. If you expect me to immediately back down and not challenge you whenever you're being an idiot, you have another thing coming, sweetheart." She snapped.

He released a breath and looked away, "I'm really punishing her?"

"Yes. If she has never done anything horrible to you, then you need to leave the past in the past. If anything, it seems to me that, that lady just wants a happy family." She said softly. "I know how that feels." 

Xavier frowned when he noticed the pained look in her eyes, before he could say anything though, Catherine called Harper back in. Xavier watched as his mother slowly walked in, as if she were expecting him to scream at her. Guilt grabbed at his heart as he watched her sit down.

"Mom...I'm sorry."

Her eyes widened with shock, in less than a second, she lunged across the desk and hugged her son. Catherine was quick to hop off his lap and smiled when she saw the tears rolling down Harper's cheeks. Her smile grew when she saw Xavier slowly hug his mother back.

"You two just met and she's already changing you." Harper sounded. "It's a good change though." 

She smiled at Catherine, once she let go of her son and she hugged the shocked she-wolf. 

"The Moon Goddess did good." she whispered.

A/N: No, it's not rushed, I did this on purpose. His mom is going to play a huge part in this story. :) 

This is happening when Damon overdosed, before Dimitri met Rosalie, and Xander...well....being Xander.