| 02. octa and free pizza

"how do you let yourself be so blind that you convinced yourself that you were one step ahead when you were always two steps behind?"

*********

"LOOK." MERRITT GAZED at the other four people around the table.

The horsemen weren't too pleased when they saw a girl waiting for all of them at the meeting place with Dylan.

"As much as I appreciate the addition of some femininity to the group over and above what Atlas provides-"

Danny narrowed his tired eyes at the mentalist standing across from him as he continued on. "I think the real issue in this is-"

"The issue is that we have been rehearsing for months for something we don't even know what it is-"

"You're going to keep on working until-"

"Until we 'work as a single organism.'" Danny finished Dylan's sentence with annoyance. "I know I've heard you say that. The thing is when you say that, I think what you're referring to is us-" Danny gestured to himself, Merritt, Jack, and their newest edition, Lula May. "Not you."

"Listen." Dylan didn't like how Danny questioned his authority, especially when all of them are already stressed out with the task at hand. "I'm getting my orders directly from the Eye. Now, I give them to you. If you don't like that, you're welcome to go."

"No, I'm not going anywhere." Danny shot a smirk at the direction of the FBI agent. "But I'm, hmm, I'm taking care of myself."

"Guys, can I just weigh in here really quick because I think I see what's going on here." Lula tried lighting up the situation unfolding in front of her. "You guys are this, amazing tight knit family unit who just recently lost someone-"

In the background of her small explanation, Merritt kept disagreeing with her. "We are anything but a family-"

"Okay, well my mother literally knifed my father in the neck one time so you're actually a little bit like my family-"

Jack looked at Lula strangely while Merritt motioned what he thought Lula's mother did to her father. "Really?"

"Yeah it was an accident. I think."

Dylan looked around the dimly lit cellar while the loud quarreling continued. He zoned out of the argument going on beside him and his eyes fixated at the entrance of the room, waiting for someone to burst through those doors.

"Dylan!"

Dylan snapped out of his trance and turned to the person who called his name, hoping that it was Maeve. "Hmm?"

"We're trying to figure out what to do and you're staring off into space." Danny gave him a look, not looking amused as he gave the sixth horsemen an irritated stare.

Jack noticed Dylan's saddened features as he took one glance back at the door. "Are you waiting for someone else?"

"No." Dylan lied straight through his teeth. He averted his gaze down to the map lying on the metal table.