| 22. before it ends

And here's what you've all been waiting for!!!

**********

"there are two ways to see life: in black and white or in color."

*********

Maeve felt her heart pounding in her chest and the blood pulsing through her veins.

Taking a deep breath, she slowly closed her eyes and waited for the smoke to encase her from the view of everyone there.

Maeve removed each finger one by one.

Her pinky first.

Then her ring finger.

Then her middle finger.

Until her index and thumb were the last ones touching the small grey marble. Maeve's eyes remained closed as she started to lift her index finger.

Her eyes snapped open in surprise as she felt warm hand grasp around her small one, making the gray ball slide back into her clutches.

The roar of the crowd all of a sudden became quiet whispers. Every camera angled themselves so that they were all capturing the same moment as the other.

Light all around her shined down above her, making her skin look like it was softly glowing. The fireworks all of a sudden stopped as well, making a deathly quiet sound float in the air.

Maeve froze where she was. She didn't have enough strength to pull away from the person who stopped her from leaving. It was as if she wanted someone to stop her from making the same mistake twice.

Tears stung Maeve's eyes as the person gently opened up her fingers until the small smoke bomb was no longer in her possession. She felt her heart shatter to pieces. There was no way to escape now.

"What's this."

The quiet and small crack in his voice was what made the tears start to fall. Maeve knew that voice from anywhere. It haunted her day and night no matter where she was or who she was with.

Smooth yet hoarse; husky yet soft; monotonous yet full of emotion with just one word.

Maeve kept her head down as Jack slowly turned her to face him. He stared down at her with a pained expression, noticing how she didn't even want to look at him.

Jack lowered his hand and showed her the dark-colored orb in the palm. "What is this?" He repeated, somewhat louder. Maeve shook her head as she felt his intense gaze burning holes into her skull.

Jack sighed and looked to his right. An idea popped into his head. If she won't tell him, then he'll find out for himself.

Jack tossed the small object off the side of the plane. He watched contently as it released a milky grey substance once it touched the concrete ground. The smoke rose up in the air and spiraled around like a tornado, consuming anything in its path.

Small sounds of gasps and 'ahh's filled the air from the people surrounding the Thames. By now, everyone had their phones out to record this moment.