epilogue: the secret staircase

It's the last chapter!!

This has been an amazing journey with you all. Sadly, this book has come to an end.

I hope you all enjoyed this book as much as I did writing it. Of course, there will be an end of the book QnA if you want to ask me any questions. I know that I haven't gotten around to answering a few so I will in that.

Well, I hope you enjoy this chapter!!

Hugs and kisses,
~Mia

*********

"Heaven only knows where you been, but I don't really need to know. I know where you're gonna go."

*********

The horsemen neared the study as quietly as they possibly could without causing noise.

Curiously, they all leaned in and eavesdropped on the conversation.

"You know," Someone spoke from behind the door. "The best tricks work on many levels and the deepest one, for me, at least, is this moment right here."

The voice sounded so familiar to Maeve, but she couldn't pinpoint who it belonged to.

Curiosity killed the cat she reminded herself. Maeve rolled her eyes at that saying and muttered, "Fuck it. I'm gonna do it."

She subtly peeked her head into the small crack that opened into the study. Maeve's eyes grew wide in slight surprise. She turned to the others and motioned for them to come to her. Maeve  moved out of the way so that the horsemen could see what was happening.

Danny cocked his head and looked back at the study, repeating her actions. Merritt, Jack, and Lula peeked out from behind him. All of them gaped at the scene with shock.

Thaddeus was sitting on the couch next to Dylan. Maeve smirked at them, knowing that there was something different about Thaddeus than what they all thought.

"He's with the eye?" Lula whispered as she continued leaning in closer to hear the conversation better. Everyone shushed her and presses their ears to the door.

"I'm sorry, Dylan. I miss your father."

"Oh shit." Jack mumbled as he remained crouched in front of the small creak in between the door hinges, trying to see what they were doing.

Dylan said something, but it was too quiet for any of them to hear. A few more mumblings were passed around with a long moment of silence before Dylan raised his voice again.

"So now what?" He asked.

From the crack in the door, Maeve saw Thaddeus sigh. "Now I'm about out of moves."

"What does that mean?"

Everyone shushed Lula again, making her grumble in annoyance. She crossed her arms and leaned back, no longer interested.

"Come on, you're the one who said that you believed that this road led to the great wizard behind the curtain."

"I did."

"And that you finally get to look him in the eyes." Dylan added. From the small space, Maeve saw Thaddeus show a genuine smile. "I am."

She didn't realize how wise Thaddeus truly was. Maeve felt really bad for all of the things that she, along with the other horsemen, did to that man. What Thaddeus said brought a smile to her face.