| 06. metal detects

"it was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

*********

"STEAL SOMETHING?" MERRITT SHOOK his head in disbelief. "For this narcissistic little man-boy? I don't like it, but what I like less is you deciding for us."

The five magicians were weaving through moving locals, wooden crates, and multiple awnings tying to get to the magic shop. Danny stayed in front of everyone, considering he was the only one who actually knew where the shop was. That, and he was still a control freak leading a group.

"You like that we're the laughing stocks of the magic world and fugitives of the actual world?" Danny rolled his eyes as he squeezed past a mother and her child. "Walter is right, we have nowhere to go."

"Well we can fix that."

"We can fix it?" Danny turned his head back to look at the newest recruit of the horsemen. "Oh so you're officially apart of the team now."

"Excuse me?" Lula narrowed her eyes at the ringleader.

"Danny, quit being a knob head." Maeve spoke from his left. She kept dodging chairs and other things since he wouldn't move over to give her more space to walk. "Being a leader means accepting everyone-"

"Being a leader means not running away from your team." Danny shot back. "I mean, you would know since you've done it twice now."

"The only think I've ever done wrong was trusting you lot in the first place."

"Yeah," Jack said sarcastically. "I'm sure this is what Dylan meant when he told us to work-"

"As a single organism." Danny mocked what the ring man said during one of their meetings. "That is a fairytale that Dylan tells himself and tells us."

"Even if he gets the stick, he'll never let us go." He added, changing the subject to Walter. "We can't trust Walter, okay?"

"The Eye has a history in Macau. They're the only ones we can trust." Danny informed them. He walked past a man carrying a wooden box in the process. "If we can get it to them, they can clear our names and get us the hell out of here."

He stopped in front of an old building with chipped off paint and scratched wood. 'MAGIC SHOP' was painted in gold on the top.

Maeve was the first to walk into the old shop. A bell rung as she pushed opened the front door.

The whiff of old paper and dust hit her. Each shelf was fully stocked with magic props ranging from car decks to rubber chickens. "Holy shite." Maeve whispered in awe as she twirled to see the entire place.

Being the control freak he is, Danny was the first to go to the checkout desk. A man sat at there with earbuds, jamming out as he pretends to play the drums while an old lady sat on a chair further back, watching in amusement.

"Hey." Danny hit the bell on the desk multiple times to get either one's attention. "Hi, how are you. We need some things custom made by tomorrow, we're kind of in a rush and uh...." He then noticed that the man payed no attention to him while the lady just gave him a smile. "You have no idea what I'm talking about do you?"