chapter four: life isn't easy

June 30th, 2014

"Congratulations, Cas." Gabriel Novak says as he enters Cas's cramped apartment for his small graduation party.

"Thanks Gabe." Cas smiles and hugs his older brother.

"Hi Dean." He tenses then smiles slightly and shakes my hand.

"Hey."

He walks over to Sam and Jess and starts to talk to them. "He doesn't like me." I say.

"Yes he does...he's just, I don't know, worried for me I guess."

"Why?"

"Because we broke up five years ago and now we're together again. He doesn't want me getting hurt."

I sigh. "I'm not going to hurt you again."

"I know. Don't worry about it okay?" He takes my hand and looks at me. "C'mon. Let's go talk to everyone."

I nod and we walk over to Sam, Jess who is holding Mary, and Gabe. "So how have you guys been?" Gabe asks Sam.

"We've been great." Sam smiles and takes Jess's hand.

Gabe nods and smiles. "That's good."

Mary squirms and turns to face me, stretching her arms out toward me. I laugh and take her. Jess rolls her eyes and smiles. "She loves Dean. Never gets enough of him."

"What can I say. I'm irresistible." I kiss her chubby cheek and she giggles.

"She's adorable." Gabe comments and Sam smiles.

"Yeah." Sam looks at his daughter lovingly.

Mary pulls at my ear. "Ow." I laugh and she giggles, then sticks her fist in her mouth.

"So how have you been Dean?" Gabe asks.

"Pretty good actually." I smile. "How about you?"

"Same."

The doorbell rings and Cas looks at the door in shock. "What the...?"

"Who is it?" I ask.

"I have no idea. It's probably not any of the rest of my family though." He frowns and gets up.

Out of the Novak family - Zachariah, Naomi, and their kids Lucifer, Gabriel, and Cas - only Gabriel supports Cas. Lucifer doesn't exactly support him, but doesn't really care all too much. Cas hasn't talked to his parents in almost eight years, which was when we had first started dating and he came out as gay. He was only 19 at the time. Three years younger than me.

Castiel opens the door and gasps. I can't see who is on the other side of the door until he invites him in. Cas smiles as Lucifer Novak walks in.

"Luc." Gabe says and stands up, walking over and hugging his brother.

"Thank you for coming. I didn't think you even opened the invitation." Cas laughs and sits down next to me again.

"Well I figured why the hell not. I mean, I haven't seen you in about six years."

"Well thank you for coming." Cas grins and takes my hand.

"So you guys are together again?" Lucifer eyes me suspiciously.

"Uh. Yeah." I smile.

"Are you sure that's a good idea, Cas? Didn't he hurt you?" Cas's smile fades and he frowns.

Everyone looks down awkwardly and Cas clears his throat. "I think I'll be fine." He says.

I tighten my grip on Cas's hand. "Well Dean. You better not act stupid again." Lucifer says.