chapter seven: stars and wine

August 11th, 2014

"I hope you have a good day today." I say as Cas gets ready to leave for his first day at work. "You'll do great."

"I'm so nervous." He says and rests his head on my shoulder.

"I know. It'll be fine." I kiss the top of his head. "Goodbye. I love you."

"I love you too." He says. He holds onto me for a short time longer and then pecks my lips. He walks out the door and to his car in the driveway.

"And remember! I'm coming at lunch!" I shout to him. He gives me a thumbs up, gets in his car, and drives away.

I shut the door and head into our bedroom. Every other room is unpacked beside this one. I open up a box to find some of Cas's nice dress shirts inside. I smile and run my fingers across the smooth fabric. I hang them up in the closet and check inside of the box to see if there is anything else.

I open up another box labeled with Cas's name and gasp. The box is filled with pictures in frames. There is a picture of his family on top. It is old. Cas looks like a teenager. He looks happy. I take it out and gently place it on the floor beside me. The next picture is one of Gabe and Cas, laughing, both of them holding a beer.

At the next picture, I smile. This one is of us. It was taken probably close to around six years ago. We're looking at each other and grinning. I didn't even know Cas still had pictures of us. I thought he would've thrown them away. I set the picture gently on the large dresser we share.

The next box I open is mine. Inside the box is another box. The box that holds the letters I wrote to Cas. I decide to put those on top of the closet in the corner. I don't want him to see them just yet.

I glance at the alarm clock on the nightstand. 11:45. Lunch starts at 12:15 at the school. I quickly get myself ready, make my lunch, and leave in my car.

Once I get to the school, I walk in with my lunch and find my way to Cas's classroom. Number 110.

Some kids look at me confused and I just smile at them. I eventually get to his classroom. I open the door and walk in. He is seated at his desk and he is talking to a student. He glances up at me and grins. The student he is talking to turns around. Cas quickly turns his attention back to the student. "Sorry Mr. Tran. Continue."

"Is this him? Your boyfriend?" The boy asks, still looking at me.

"Yes." Cas answers.

"Alright I'll leave then. I have to catch up with my friends anyway. Thanks Mr. Novak."

"Okay then. Goodbye Kevin. I'll see you tomorrow."

The boy leaves and Cas gets up, locking the door. I sit in the chair Kevin was previously sitting in, across from Cas. "How is it so far?" I ask.

"It's great. Only four kids have left so far. The first thing I did was tell the students I'm gay and if they didn't like it, to leave and switch classes." He smiles weakly.

"Did any of them give you a hard time?"

"No. They just left quietly."

"Okay good." We both take our lunches out of our brown paper bags. "I unpacked a couple more boxes. I found some old pictures of yours in one."

He smiles. "Oh yeah. I forgot about those. I haven't opened that box in years."

"I put a picture of us on the dresser."

"Which one?"

"The one of us looking at each other."

"Oh." Cas nods. "I love that one." He smiles.