chapter ten: the letters

September 23rd, 2014

"This one." I say as I hold the small silver ring in my hand.

"Are you sure?" I glance up at the lady at the counter and nod.

"Yes. This is the one." I grin.

She nods once. "Alright. Let's ring you up."

***

"Did you get it?" Sam asks eagerly over the phone.

"Yes." I open the small black box and look at the ring.

"When are you going to give it to him?"

"Tonight. I've had everything planned out for a while. I'm going to set everything up in a few minutes."

"Call me and let me know how it goes afterwards."

"Alright. I'll talk to you later. Bye Sammy."

"Bye Dean."

I smile and hang up the phone, heart beating fast.

I am proposing to Cas tonight. And even though we can't really get married, I don't care. I just want to be with him for the rest of my life.

***

"Are we going to the hill?" Cas asks impatiently.

"Maybe." I reply, not taking my eyes off of the road.

He doesn't reply. He just stares at the red sky which is getting darker by the minute.

"Why are we going here tonight? It's just a typical Tuesday and I have work tomorrow."

"I don't know. I just felt like doing something special tonight." I lie.

"Hmm. Alright." We pull up to the hill and I park.

We get out and make the short climb up. Cas laughs when he gets to the top. "You came early and made it all fancy again?" He grins.

A large blanket is set down with a wine bottle and two glasses, just like last time. I also put out a few candles in case it got too dark.

"Yep. Sit down." I smile and kiss his cheek before sitting. He sits next to me and grabs my hand. I light the candles and smile. "Do you like it?" I pour wine into the glasses and hand him one.

"Of course." He smiles and leans in, kissing me. I kiss him back, putting my hands on his back. He pulls away. "I love you."

"I love you too." He smiles at me.

"I have something for you." I say and get up. "Wait here."

I head to my car and grab a box out of the trunk. Once I get back, I set it down in front of him. He looks at me confusedly. "What is this?"

"Okay. This may sound very ridiculous, but during those five years, I wrote short letters to you. They were about a lot of things. You, me, our memories. But I also talked about my life during that time." I scratch the back of my head nervously. "Some of them may be sort of...sad...but I really wanted you to finally have them. So here you go."

He doesn't reply. He just takes the box and opens it, taking the many papers in his hand.

"They're all in order. You can read them right now."

"All of them?" He asks.

"Yeah. They aren't long." I laugh.

"Okay."

He reads the first one. Then the second, third, fourth, and so on. I watch him as he reads them. Sometimes he laughs, and other times I watch as his expression gets sad.