Chapter one

When Katherine was 9 years old her mother died from cancer leaving her and her sister Alexia in the arms of their abusive step-father. Each day he would beat her leaving her sister to watch in shock. Katherine would remember her mothers words she told her and her sister before she watched her mother fall to the floor. "You are strong my babies both of you and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I love you. And remember I will always be here," she pointed to her heart,
"Right in your heart." After a long week of dealing with her mother's death her step-father started abusing her.

"You are a worthless piece of crap. You good for nothing soon of a bitch." He would hit her over and over again.

I got a pocket, got a pocket full of sunshine I've got a love and I know that it's all mine oh oh oh..

Katherine felt for her alarm clock and accidentally pushed it off her bedside table.

"Shit am gonna be late." She blurted out with a pounding head ache acting up. After waking up fully a sweet smell of pancakes and eggs hit her nose, her favorite. She quickly hopped out of bed and went downstairs where she saw her sister making breakfast.

"Weird." She muttered to herself. She walked over to her sister and felt her pulse to see if they were working alright. She then felt her forehead to see if she was hot.

"What are you doing?" Her sister asked confused.

"What are you doing?" Katherine asked back as confused as her sister was.

"I'm cooking pancakes and eggs." Alexia replied in a duh tone.

"But you never cooked since mom died." She said approved about her little sister in front of her.

"It was your first day of work so I was planning on surprising you." She said in a sad expression because of what her sister just say.

"Uuuhhm... It smells good." She said trying to change the topic bit she knew that her sister was much smarter than that.

"It's okay to say what you said." She said with a single year drop falling from her eyes followed by one from her sister.

They both hugged and comfort each other. Katherine drew away, wiped the tear from her sister's eye's and said." Don't worry remember what mom said... Be strong for her." She gave her a kiss on the forehead and they both went to eat.

"So ready for your first job interview?" Alexia asked. After two months of having struggles paying the bills Katherine decided to look up a job on the internet but couldn't get any. Thanks to her aunt and uncle, the only two people she have in the world to love besides her little sister asked for a job for her from a friend to work at James&CO.

"Yea, I really hope I get this job so it can help us pay the bills buy clothes, groceries and anything that we need." She replied Hope fully.

"Well don't worry your gonna get it just have faith." Alexia said while resting her hand on her sister's.

"Thanks Lexi. Well I gotta go now or else am gonna be extra late." She said while pushing out her chair and getting up to go to her room. She went in the bathroom took a shower, shave her legs and brushed her hair. She poured some lotion on her body and massaged gently. She wrote a black pencil skirt, nude blouse and a heeled shoes. She then applied a small amount of makeup and took up her black bag. She ran downstairs and yelled. "Lexi am out, don't be late for school." Just when she was about to open the door she heard Alexia reply. "Okay, good luck." Katherine closed the door and went to the bus stop. Just when she was about to take out her phone the bus drove up and she hopped in. After a thirty minute bus ride she got out and stood in front of a big glass building marked James&CO.

"Well here goes." She convinced herself took a deep breath and walked in where she saw a reception.

"Hello." But the reception didn't look up.

"Um he..." She said before the perception replied.

"Hello how may I help you." She said with a small smile. She looked like she was in her early twenties.

"Um do you know where I could find Mr. James's office?" Katherine said nervously.

"Oh you're trying out for the job as a new PA?"

"Yes. Yes I am." She looked down and looked back up.

"Top floor, his office is the only office on that floor so it won't be hard to find." She pointed to the elevator.

"Okay thank you." Just when I was about to walk away she said.

"I'm Ally." And gave me a genuine smile.

"Nice to meet you Ally I'm Katherine but you can call me Kate." I replied with a smile.

"Okay Kate, good luck." She shouted.

"Thanks." Was my last word to her as I entered the elevator with no more than five people. After a couple of seconds and stops everyone was out and Katherine started to worry. When the elevator made its final stop Katherine eyes snapped open as if she saw a ghost. She walked down the hall and saw a big door.

"Well this must be it." She said and let out a deep breath. She knocked on the door and heard a firm. "Come in." She slowly opened the door and went in looking around but saw no one. The office was big and spacious with a door on both sides after going further in Katherine saw a big brown chair spin around.

"How may I help you." A firm rough voice said. Damn he's cute I love em green eyes. "How may I help you!" A cold rough voice echoing through the room that made me jump and shiver out of my thoughts.

"I-I-Im here for a job i-interview." I said trying to hold back a tear.

"Well don't just stand there, have a seat." He said and not even letting a second pass by I sat in a chair facing him. " so why do you want this job?" He said.

"Well I want this job because It'll help me pay my bills and get me things that I need." I said honestly.

"Well isn't there any other job that gives money? Why this one?" He is so mean and cold hearted.

"I couldn't get any so my uncle helped me get a job, this job." I said with my head down felling a little embarrassed. And then I heard two words that made me happy, two words that satisfied me.

"You're hired." I snapped my head up and a big smile appeared on my face.

"Thank you so much, thank you so much." I said and got up. "I won't let you regret it." On my way leaving his office he said.

"I really hope I don't have to." He said coldly. I got out and walked straight into the elevator. I felt a pair of Eye on me but I paid that no mind, heck, I just got a job. Wohooo. I got off the elevator when I saw Ally. I ran over to her and said. "Guess what." I said giddily.

"What." She replied. I look at her with a dead look and then it hit her. "Oh oh God congrats Kate." She hugged me it was weird but I hugged her back.

"Okay Al I gotta go see you tomorrow." I let her go.

"Well okay tomorrow it is then." I walked away and went to the bus stop when the bus came up I went on an off I was to tell Lexi the good news.