Chapter 3

AN: if anyone knows how to attach photos to a chapter please message me, I have to know. Enjoy, love.

I headed to the fencing arena once again to practice, and of coarse Logan was there. He gave me a glare that bounced off me and I started attacking my own dummy. I took glances at Logan every now and again to see his technique, that's when he was hit in the head by a wooden pole on the dummy "your leaving you left open, you have to guard it better" I suggested

"yeah and what would you know" he retaliated

"I teach this type of stuff at my Uncles gym all the time, your leaving your left open" I repeated. He pondered it for a second and did as I suggested. I started my fighting again and finished. Logan looked at me amazed as I walked past him "it's incredible what happens when you listen hey" I said while heading down the stairs that leads to the dinning hall.

"I thought you weren't coming" Kelsey said as I sat down she waved her hand and huffed "I still can't grow juniper"

"I'm guessing that's a bad thing" I said confused, half the conversations I have with Kelsey are about home and plants "their berries are semi toxic to monsters, if only I could grow some" she said sadly. I smiled and hugged her "it will be fine, lets try to not think about it and think about this shield" I said, she smiled broadly.

I begun to pack a duffle bag of clothes and other supplies I could find and think of, 'what do you bring on a quest' I thought. I found a small stash of knifes in my wardrobe so I added them to my bag.

When I was happy with my bag I jumped into the shower and then bed.

_______________________________________

Kelsey and I woke up at five o'clock, we walked through the training arena and got looks of condolences which didn't help. Kelsey and I stood by the force field awaiting Logan. He approached us with a look of nervousness, "well here we go, we are going after-" Kelsey begun and I just walked through the barrier.

We walked in silence till Kelsey finally spoke up "so we have to get from Michigan to Washington how many states is that exactly", I started to count through the states and figured it out "seven, its seven states" I answered Logan stopped suddenly "we have to cross seven states, go through one of the most dangerous places on earth and make it back in fourteen days" he exclaimed "well actually thirteen and don't tell me you've forgotten about trains" I said with a cocky smile. He huffed in defeat and followed.

We walked to the closest train station and hopped on our train while grabbing a few coffees and other snacks. I sat next to Kelsey and across from Logan "what's his problem" I asked Kelsey quietly. She finished eating her croissant and smiled "I came here on February 1st, my birthday and his been here before that, I heard his been here since he was nine cause his parents took him here, no letters or anything since then" Kelsey answered. I nodded and decided to bite the bullet and talk to Logan. I moved next to Logan and he gave me a glance "oh hi" he muttered "gee don't get too exited or anything" I smiled

"what do you want Lexi" he asked sourly

"I just wanted to tell you to lighten up, your no going to a funeral so chill, drink some coffee or something to perk you up" I said, he shook his head

"Is this a game to you, how are you so happy" he asked, I shrugged and smiled "I'm a positive person, what can I say" I gleamed. I saw him smirk and that is all I wanted.

We all sat in silence till we heared a thud and scratching out side the carriage "what was that" I asked as we all stood up and ready to press the buttons on our handle do dads "something we probably want to avoid" Logan answered. We heard it again but this time it was followed by the sound of screeching metal, I looked up and saw a massive gash in the roof of the carriage. Everyone ran for their lives leaving the three crazy teens to fend for them selfs.

A monster jumped through the roof and landed with a harsh thud. It had a lion front half and a scorpion butt, I recognised it it instantly "that's a manticore, I remember it from Greek mythology" I informed and the manticore got kinda pissed "how dare you call me mythological, you petty little guardian" he exclaimed. We all clicked out handle do dads, I quickly blocked the stinger with my sword out of instinct "this, is, nothing, like, fencing" I yelled while pushing it off.

A volley of arrows flew over my head and I saw Kelsey with a green and silver bow, the handle was like Logan and I's handle do dads. We blocked, swiped and jabbed but couldn't get a scratch. I heard another train coming from the opposite direction and had a stupid idea. I ran to the side of the train that was coming and put my sword in handle mode "hey ugly, I don't know what smells worse your breath or you it's self" I yelled while waving my hands. The stinger came towards me and I ducked as it tore a gash in the side of the train that I could fit trough easily.

I timed it perfectly and back flipped into the oncoming train, my hands bounced off the trains shell and I landed on my trains roof, the manticore got ran over by the train as it tried to follow me, it dissolved into black dust and smoke. I pulled my self to the first gash that the manticore created in the roof and flipped into the carriage "you idiot" Logan yelled

"Lexi how did you know that would work" Kelsey asked with a hint of anger "well I winged it, like I usually do" I said an she hugged me.

The train came to a screeching holt, sparks flew everywhere and we walked out with our bags like nothing happened "so where are we" I asked, Logan gave me a glare like it was obvious "were in Iowa" he answered.

A few kilometres after we came across a car rental place Logan begun to go in "um what are you doing, since when can you drive " I said while grabbing his arm

"well I got this, and this" he said while holding up two cards, one I presume was a credit card and the other a fake licence cause his only 15 but only guessed since I can't read a word of it. He went in and twenty minuets later he walked out with keys to a car, he found our car and we sped off "how do you know how to drive" I asked nervously "I borrowed my aunts car when I was seven" he replied "great" I said sarcastically.