Chapter Sixteen (with fame comes fortune)

-
"what?"

"we've gone viral. the picture's all over the internet."

-

just then, my phone beeped.

cautiously, i opened the text message.

chris: hey, it's me. come over asap please. i'll explain when you get here.

-

as i began walking from my house to chris's as discreetly as i could, my mind began to wonder whether he'd asked me over for the right reasons or the wrong. we'd ended on a really bad note, and he wouldn't be apologising because there was nothing to apologise for. it was my fault completely, and it killed me to even think that chris might believe it was his fault.

i couldn't think about this right now. i plugged my headphones into my ears and started shuffling through the chainsmokers' songs.

-
MAKE SURE YOU START PLAYING 'ARE YOU CALLING-FLAGSHIP' (starting at 01:04) FOR FULL EFFECT IN THIS PART OF THE STORY.
-

as i approached the door and was about to knock, i hesitated. i started to believe that the conversation which was about to take place was better left unsaid.

oh fuck it.
i knocked on the door and waited nervously. and there he was. him in his plain white tee and grey sweat pants and me in my white halter crop top and navy blue skater skirt.

-

"hey." he said with a smile.

"hey." i blushed.

-

he invited me in and sat me down on the couch in his lounge.

he grabbed hold of my hands and looked deeply into my eyes.

-

"what are you doing?" i asked, wracked with confusion.

"ever since i saw your cover of wasteland, i realised how much we had in common and how many memories i'd forgotten - and i realised that breaking up with you was the biggest mistake of my life." he contemplated. "you don't have to say anything, i just want you to know i still love you and i hope it's not too late."

i sat there in shock.

"wha-what is even happening right now?" i walked over to the window slowly.

as i looked at the sun and beautiful blue sky, i wandered, 'how can the sun shine so brightly when the situation is so messed up and dark?'

alright. i've got two choices - tell him i love him back or tell him i don't.

i turned around to tell chris what i was about to say, but to my surprise, he was knelt down on the floor with one knee up... and a ring on display in his hand.

i gasped in even more shock and whispered, "oh my god," with my hands cupping my mouth and nose and tears streaming down them.

"so.. i guess you know what i'm going to say, but i'll say it anyway." chris said, his shuddering breath making it clear that i wasn't the only one crying.

"ugh, i thought i wasn't going to cry." he laughed.

"sophie. you are absolutely amazing. i'm so lucky to have been part of your life for these past one and a half years. this sounds so cheesy but i really hope that this isn't the end for us. i want to be with you forever, and i knew it since the day we were sat on that bench together in high school. so, will you marry me?"

"oh my gosh, yes, YES!! i love you so much, and i'm so sorry." i hugged him as tightly as i could. i never wanted to let go.

he slipped the ring onto my finger and it fit like a glove.

-

suddenly, karisma, kirsten, michelle, crawford, stacey and john all jumped out from behind the sofas and tables while popping party poppers and 'woo-ing'.

chris pointed to kizzy who was holding a camera and told me he would make a beautiful video from the footage. then crawford walked up to us.

"hey sophie, i just wanted to say that i'm so sorry about what happened. i shouldn't have done it and i honestly don't know what came over me. i hope you can forgive me."

he seemed genuinely sorry.

"of course, you shouldn't have done it but it's okay, as long as chris is okay with it. chris?" i replied.

"fine with me. love you bro." he said, pulling crawford into a hug.

after that, michelle approached us and took crawford's hand into hers. "sophie, i just wanna say thank you so much and congrats! i know we haven't always seen eye to eye, but you got me and crawford back together and i'm eternally grateful for that. you deserve all this happiness."

"aww, thank you, and i'm sorry for taking alfie from you, maybe i wasn't entirely innocent." i said, hugging her.

"haha, it's fine, he wasn't that important to me anyway."

-

later on that day after everything had calmed down, i took a picture of the ring and sent it to grace, my best friend.

almost immediately after i sent the message, my phone buzzed.

grace: NO WAY! CONGRATULATIONS GIRL! xxx

sophie: YES WAY! AND TYSM, ILY AND I MISS YOU! x

grace: AS SOON AS I COME BACK FROM SWEDEN YOU BETTER BE HAVING AN ENGAGEMENT PARTY! I'M SO EXCITED!!! xxx

sophie: YOU GOT IT ;) HURRY BACK! x

-

i put my phone down and smiled, then passed out on the couch.

-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-
I'M SO SORRY FOR HOW LONG IT'S BEEN SINCE I POSTED THE LAST CHAPTER, I HAD WRITER'S BLOCK AND ALL MY WORDS WERE JUST LIKE SCRAMBLED EGG AND I COULDN'T THINK OF ANYTHING BUT ILY, SHARE THIS STORY AROUND AND GET AS MANY PEOPLE READING AS POSSIBLE BC IT'S ALMOST THE END!!! MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THIS A STAR AS WELL <3
-
update: i just realised i fricking said michael instead of chris lmao wow (this chapter was inspired by jane the virgin so that's why i said michael fyi) also you should watch jane the virgin it's my fave show atm