Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Status: Edited

Don't forget to vote! nwn

~Dennis~

I wake up to the sound of rain pattering against my window. Groaning, I slowly get out of bed and walk to it. It didn't rain a day while Thea was with me. I open the blinds and see dark clouds form across the sky.

Walking out of my room, I hear a clash of thunder. I jump at the sound, and picture how Thea would've reacted. I can clearly see us sitting on the couch one afternoon, the rainfall starting to get heavier. Thunder roars through the sky, and Thea jumps into my arms. But no...that will never happen.

We will never be a thing.

I gave up my career for a lost cause.

What will I do now?

I walk down the steps while remembering the day I chased Thea up them. I swallow back my tears while walking to the living room. I sit on the couch that Thea kissed me on.

'How did this happen?' I mumble to myself as I turn on the tv. I scroll through the never ending list of shows and decide to watch the news.

"First storm alert: A severe thunderstorm-" the weatherman starts to say, but I turn the television off. Deciding not to eat anything, I head back upstairs to my room.

As I think about every option that I have at this point, I look down at the piece of paper Samantha gave to me.

'I could use a break,' I think as I pick up my phone and begin dialing her number.

One ring...

Two rings...

Three rings...

Four rings...

You have reached the voicemail box of...

Click.

I hang up and decide to text her instead.

Me: Hey Sam..it's me. I was wondering if you wanted to get lunch today? Text me when you can.

I send the text and head into the bathroom for a shower. Letting the hot water crash against my body, I try to cleanse myself of Thea's scent. When I finish, I wrap a towel around my waist and head back into my room.

I pick up my phone and unlock the screen. You have one new text message from: Samantha Greenwood. Samantha: Hey Dennis...

I click on the text, my heart racing at the sight of her quick reply.

Samantha: Hey Dennis, it's me. Sure, I'd love to go to lunch today! My shift ends at 12:30, so did you wanna go then? Hope to hear from you soon!

My fingers hover over my keyboard as I glance at the time at the top of my screen. It reads 11:15 a.m.

Me: Sure! I have to stop by the police office and get my car, so wanna just meet there? Lunch is on me. :)

I hit send and scan through my closet for an outfit to wear. Sliding my causal attire over, I glance quickly at my options. I decide to wear a blue dress shirt with a black tie and black dress pants. Suddenly, I hear my phone buzz, and check the message.

Samantha: Sounds great! See you around 1! ;)

Smiling at her message, I run downstairs. I grab my wallet and head outside to the bus stop down the street. I board the bus to the police station and sigh with relief.

This could be the start of something new.

~Thea~

I wake up to a bright light in my face. The sound of constant beeping fills my ears as I see the face of a male surgeon. He turns the light off, and I squeeze my eyes shut to get used to the dullness of the room.

"How you feelin?" he asks as I shake. The room literally feels like an ice box.

"My head hurts a little..." I trail off while trying to remember what happened. He checks my vitals and then returns to his computer.

"You were in a car crash," he says, and I instantly feel nauseous.

"Really? Was there somebody in the car with me? Is the other driver alright?" I pester while trying to remember something.

"The driver is okay. However, your car flipped over and the person in the passenger seat is in critical condition. They don't think he is going to make it, hun," he says, and I just stare at him.

"What was the name of the passenger?" I persist.

"Enough questions. I have to go take care of another patient. A nurse will be in here to see you shortly," he says and starts to walk out of the door.

"Wait!!! Please!!! I just need to know the name!!" I scream as tears come to my eyes. The doctor disappears from behind the curtain, and I being to sob quietly.

'Think Thea think!' I yell to myself. Suddenly, I hear two female voices outside of my room.

"Yeah, she was in an accident with someone, and he is in critical condition," a high pitched voice says.

There is a brief pause. "What was the name of the passenger?" a different voice asks.

"Steven Wolf," the high pitched voice replies. My heart drops as memories from earlier come back to me.

"I love you Thea."

I begin screaming and kicking in my bed. A nurse rushes in and presses her palms against my hands to stop me from moving them, but I continue to kick and scream. Another female nurse enters the room and injects something into my arm. I slowly fade away into the darkness of the unknown.

**********

I open my eyes, gasping for air. I look around to see two female nurses cleaning up my room. I lick my dry lips and stare at them in awe.

"How are you doing sweetie?" the nurse with the high pitched voice asks me. I turn my head and look away from her while trying not to cry.

"I could be better," I reply with honesty.

"I'm sorry to hear that. My name is Jennifer, but you can call me Jen. And this here is my assistant, Marge," she explains. I nod my head slowly and make eye contact with Jennifer.

"May I please use my phone?" I ask, and she quickly moves over to the desk beside the chairs.

"Of course," she says, walking over to me and handing me my phone. I give her a soft 'thank you' and unlock my screen. I find Dennis's previous text, and I open it up. My fingers graze over the keyboard, and I begin typing.

Me: Hey Dennis. I just wanted to let you know that Steven and I got into a crash yesterday while we were heading home. I am fine but he is in critical condition. Can you come see us? We are in...

I stop texting and clear my throat.

"Jen? What hospital are we in?" I ask.

"Houston Medical Center," she replies.

Me: Houston Medical Center. Just ask the lady at the desk for my name and room number. If she says family only, just tell her you are my cousin. Thanks.

I set the phone down and bite my lip.

"Please God...let Steven be okay..." I mumble to myself and close my eyes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys! Only four chapters left in this story! Do you think Steven is okay? Lemme know in the comments below! ^^

Feel free to vote, share, and follow~

Don't forget to add, The Journey Taken Together to your library for notifications!

Love you guys! xx