20: His Past

Ava's POV

I wake up with a massive pounding headache. I moan loudly because now that I am aware of my body it's not just my head that's in pain. It's my entire body. It's is extremely sore. I make an attempt to open my eyes but I am temporarily blinded by the light around me. I close my eyes shut in a reflex and that gesture brings the memories of what happened before I passed out. Orson and his men beating the living shit out of me.

I take in my surroundings to realise I am in Lucifer's room. Now that's only possible if: I died and went to heaven but being in Lucifer's room makes no sense, I am on the brink of death and my memories are flashing before my eyes or I was rescued whose possibility was negligible.

The door to his room opens and Lucifer walks in. He looks utterly exhausted and beaten. Not that beaten but that someone managed to land a few lucky blows on him. "Lucifer" I try to speak but my voice comes out rough and groggy. He turns my way and I can see the relief spreading his body like electricity.

"Baby, how are you feeling ? Are you hungry?  Are you thirsty ? Shall I get you anything to eat ?" He rants and I find it cute. I don't think anyone has ever seen Lucifer Knight rant. He is always calm and collected. But as he continues I notice the bright shiny liquid in his eyes and follow it's trail as it seeps down from his eyes. Lucifer Knight is crying.

"Baby" I say. But do a terrible job at it since my voice is on a vacation it comes out growled. I sit up slowly and throw myself as good as I can into his unsuspecting arms ans put his head in my neck and try to gently rock back and forth like a child. I kiss his temple from the side and continue back and forth. He is crying so silent that it would've been hard to miss for someone had his shoulders not been moving. He looks utterly defeated.

"Are you handling me like a child ?" His rough but a little amused voice has me freezing.

"Well..... No?" I try to make it form firm but it comes out like a question. He chuckles and lifts his head up from my neck and looks into my eyes. His eyes are bright but something passes over them as his entire demeanour changes.

"I did this to you" It was a statement.

"Babe, you are not responsible"

"I am. And when I tell you about my father you will run for the hills. I can't have that now, can I ?"

"What are you talking about ?"

"Promise me that you will give me a chance. You will stick by me come whatever."

"Promise" no hesistance needed.

He changes our position and now he is sitting by the headboard with me curled up in his chest. This man....

"My father's name was Peter. Peter Parker. Original I know" I chuckle, "he met Emma, My mother in high school. My mother was an immigrant from London and my dad was a local. They fell in love. My dad was the school's bad boy though. No one trusted it to last. But it did. Until death did them apart. My dad was in a gang, he was the right hand man for the gang. My mother didn't approve of this. But the leader died in a turf war one day and the gang came up on him.

My father wasn't about to let anyone of them down so he... took it up much against my mother's wishes. But she stuck with him. No matter what they always stuck toghether. I admired that about them. My parents got married when they got out of college. Things were very good for a couple of years when my parents had us three brothers- Vincent, Me and Gabriel.

Another gang had started closing in on my father. Things were getting intense and our men had started dying. My father didn't want this life for any of us. So when he did decide to retire it would be for the entire gang. He didn't want any enemies lurking after he was dead. So one day they got an intel about a warehouse. My father gathered all his man- power and left. It was a trap. Everyone died that day. Everyone in the gang except my dad. They blew up the warehouse.

Families of those members became vengeful and it became difficult for us to live there. So we moved here I New York. My dad left the gang life but the guilt of being responsible for the death of fifty men weighed down on him. One of the families caught upto us a couple years later and broke in, in the middle of the night. We were in the tree house in our backyard. Vincent was our babysitter since he was already an adult.

We heard thirty gun shots. We weren't sure if they were from both sides or from one because the police never let us see the bodies. Only Vincent did. He changed that day. Became more resented, stone- hearted and responsible. To this day we still don't  know what exactly happened to our parents. He started a mafia gang here in New York all the while keeping us brothers close. An unspoken bond had formed between us that day- Always and Forever. So when me and Gabriel graduated I joined him.

Starting a gang in New York isn't easy. You meet someone new every single day. You kill someone every single day.  Many other gangs tried to overthrow him but he was very sharp. And he had me. Gabriel always stayed out not involved much but I was very actively involved. For the world three brothers ran the mafia for our family only two did. I was never less though. I have killed people, Ava. Innocent people. I have killed little children's daddies. I am a monster in the face of an angel.

Vincent had managed to avenge our parents. But there were more vengeful families. One of them was Gerard Willis was one of the most trusted member of my father. But from what Vincent told us he was the snitch that led us to the warehouse. He provided the intel. He was already there when my father reached the warehouse. But those people betrayed  him too. They blew it up. So now for Orson, his father went with my father and died. He held my father responsible because he saw Peter as his uncle. He didn't know about his father.

He came upto us and threatened us. While we were worried we didn't give him enough credit. He had a gang, we had a mafia. But his people were very very loyal. They managed to kidnap Gabriel's wife and they injected her with something that couldn't be cured and she would've died within hours. She was dying a slow and painful death and I couldn't see it.

She asked me to do one last thing for her. To take the pain away. Gabriel was certain he found the cure but it might've not worked and made her worse. He was late and he would've failed to come on time to save her. So I did it. I pulled a trigger on her forehead and saved her the misery. Gabriel blames me to this day. But he knows that if that was my wife and if the roles were reversed he would've done the same thing. So he stuck with us. Vincent witnessed the entire thing and was adamant about not breaking us up. Vincent is our glue. After that I got out. Instead of Lucifer Parker, I became Lucifer Knight. My brothers have also adopted unspokenly my last name as it describes us, We were the Knights." He had started crying halfway and I was wiping his tears. While some parts made me want to go running, screaming into the hills some made me want to just crush the life out of him by a hug.

There was a time when I nearly did run. But he knew. He always knew and he squeezed me into his arms  lightly just enough to remind me of my promise to him. But am I ready ? After all that ?