Chapter One

A lonesome crow flies over the city, a city in dire straits, a City burning in crime, the sky is grey and light droplets of rain begin to fall. We follow the crow to the graveyard on the outskirts of the city, perching on a headstone the crow watches as a girl enters. She picks two flowers from an adjacent grave before kneeling between two graves.

After placing a white rose on one grave, she places a red rose on the other and sighs, "I miss you guys," sighing heavily, "a year has gone by yet it feels like forever."

The crow cocks its head to one side as if listening to the words.

Rain starts tumbling out of the sky, the girl gets up ready to leave. The crow caws causing her to turn, "What are you? Guardian of the dead?"

The crow cawed again, the girl puts up her hood, skateboard under her arm, taking one last longing look at the two graves before putting her head down and making her way out of the cemetery.

As the rain pours out of the sky night begins to cast its shadow over the city. The crow perches upon the headstone of the grave with the single red rose and begins furiously pecking at the headstone, it caws as if calling to someone who is not there.

The deluge of rain has left the ground soaking wet, it has also left muddy puddles out of the available soil.

A hand smashes through the mud, followed a few moments later by a female who gasps for air, as if she has not tasted air for a long time, the headstone simply reads, 'Erica Raven.' The crow caws several times to the disorientated woman who is trying to catch her breath, her clothes are ripped in several places.

In her mind she knew she was no longer a part of the living world but had no idea as to why she had been brought back.

"Caw caw, caw caw." The crow cries as he looks at her with his wings spread fully.

She rested against the headstone, "People once believed that when someone dies, a crow carries their soul to the land of the dead," taking a breath, "but sometimes, something so bad happens that a terrible sadness is carried with it and the soul cannot rest. Then sometimes, just sometimes the crow can bring that soul back to put the wrong things right." Erica hangs her head as realisation seeps in.

The crow comes to rest upon her shoulder.

On the other side of the city is a mobile hotdog shack, Officer Holt sits there eagerly awaiting his hotdog, "Mustard first, underneath the dog," pointing with his finger, "more onions Marty, don't be stingy." Cigarette in mouth he takes a drag.

Sarah comes from over the street on her skateboard before effortlessly picking it up, placing it on the floor out of the way and sitting down.

"Hey Sarah, my favourite girl." Marty beams.

"Hey Marty." She replies quietly but with enthusiasm.

Officer Holt swings around to face her, "How do you manoeuvre that thing in the wet?"

Sarah laughs a little before shrugging, "Pure talent."

Taking another drag on his cigarette, "Fancy a hotdog Sarah?"

Looking devious, "Why? You buying?"

Holt nods smiling.

"No onions though," Sarah feigns a shiver, "nasty and they make you fart."

Both Marty and the Officer laugh.

Erica shivers in the rain, her limbs stiff, she can feel the cold but is following the crow. Instinct tells her she is back for a specific reason and the crow is her guide.

"What am I?" Her voice shivers, "I'm scared." Trying to get her voice to stop shaking.

The crow lands on a huge dustbin near the end of an alleyway and caws twice before bending its head towards the contents of the bin.

Sitting at the top of the bin are some biker boots, almost new by the look of them, grabbing them Erica slides into them with ease. Zipping them up she feels warmth encapsulate her feet, "Thank you," she bows her head to the crow, "Oh," she looks a little further down the bin, in a plastic bag there is a white shirt and black leggings, "again thank you." Bowing her head to the crow before quickly changing into new clothes. The crow begins to head East and Erica follows.

Two skanky looking men in a rather fetching sporty car are racing through the streets, stopping at a derelict building the passenger gets out leaves something before jumping back in the car shouting, "Go, go."

The driver stomps on the accelerator only to slow down as they pass the officer by the hotdog shack. Sarah is trying to sink her teeth into her hotdog, taking a bite she smiles.

The timer hits zero, the building blows like a volcano, glass, brick and pieces of wood are blown in every direction, a few bystanders gasp then scream.

Holt jumps out of his seat, "Damn it," he growls, "Sarah you stay here, you'll be safe." Off he runs in the direction of the explosion while calling in the fire brigade.